Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time steaks

tvest43
tvest43 Posts: 20
edited May 2012 in Beef
Any suggestions or hints?   Have read about a 1000 ways to do it on the egg.........

Comments

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Just go grill it like you always have don't over think it
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Just go grill it like you always have don't over think it
    +1.
     If you have time, search the Trex method.
  • Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    I did my first steaks today at 575 F, I overlooked them slightly but they were still good.
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    phoenix is spot on.  when all else fails, remember that it is just a grill (unless you set it up like an oven, i guess :)>- )

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

I am doing filet mignon today, last time I got a hot fire (600-700) and put the cast iron grate in and let it get really hot. Rubbed the filets down with a little bit of evoo, (after being lightly salted and peppered) Quickly seared (let sit one min top on the grate, then rotated 90 degrees, another minute, then flip and repeat. Once you have seared, pull off the grill and let rest in foil for a while while you lower your grill temp to 400 or 450ish. I then personally threw the pizza stone on the grill to indirectly finish the steaks to my guests' likings. When done, pulled the stone and steaks off the grill and served them sizzling on the table. THEY WERE OUT OF THIS WORLD!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    As others have said, do what you do, but I thought you wanted some directions, and I gave them. Relax, have 10 beers or so, and enjoy your company. Please excuse my typos because this is all from my phone and I dont care if I mess up.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Brownie
    edited May 2012
    @michigan_jason Have you used your stone since then? I'm too scared to cook juicy/greasy foods on my stone because I've heard that it will affect your stone. Can't remember how it's affected or where I read it. I'm interested in hearing about it. BTW you filets look delicious.
  • michigan_jason
    @michigan_jason Have you used your stone since then? I'm too scared to cook juicy/greasy foods on my stone because I've heard that it will affect your stone. Can't remember how it's affected or where I read it. I'm interested in hearing about it.

I got a cheap stone from wal-mart for $14 for this reason only. I have a real stone from the CGS for pizza.

• Brownie
    Thanks, cool idea.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    I finally had a weekend to try my LGBE - did steaks the third night (afraid of high temps first few cooks).  So, I had two 1 1/2" NY strips.  Got the egg to 600F and did one like I always do:  2 mins, rotate 90, 2 mins.  Flip.  2 mins, rotate 90, 2 mins.  Pulled that one.  Then shut the egg down and let the other go for 2 more mins.  The first was to the rare side of medium rare with perfect crust and sear.  The second more med-rare - even better crust!  But after resting, the first was right at med-rare.  The second getting a little medium.  Both were delish!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • MeatHunx
    MeatHunx Posts: 16
    Hey tvest43,

Here are a couple successes I've had on the BGE. The Mario's Skirt Steaks were out of this world incredible (photo attached)

Flank and skirt steak:
    http://www.meathunx.com/2012/04/sirloin-wishes-and-skirt-dreams.html

Alt. Skirt Steak:
    http://www.meathunx.com/2012/02/marios-skirt-steaks.html

Hit me up if you have any question.
  • The pizza stone technique with the filets were spot on. That allows them to cook to the right temp without charring the outside. Thank you!