Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked chicken.

JGIFFORD
JGIFFORD Posts: 50
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 butts on now and the wife is porked out this weekend and wants Chicken. Is it safe to smoke at 225F and if I half it up about how long will it take say 2LB per each half. I normally cook my chicken direct heat high in the dome bout 400 and let the smoke roll but today that's not a option.

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    225 will work, but take awhile.  I did a turkey this weekend at 200 and it took 6 hours.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• JGIFFORD
    Maybe 2-3 hours you think?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    You cannot schedule a slow smoke.  It will take what it takes.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• JGIFFORD
    No you can't schedule it but if you cook as much as I do you can make a dang good guess. I just don't have experience cooking chicken like this. I am wanting feedback from someone who has done this.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Just checked some notes as it has been quite a while since I smoked a chix-and I saw around 30-40 mins/# (about a 5 # chix) at a dome of 250+/-.  So your initial estimate is in the ball-park.  Enjoy-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JGIFFORD
    Just checked some notes as it has been quite a while since I smoked a chix-and I saw around 30-40 mins/# (about a 5 # chix) at a dome of 250+/-.  So your initial estimate is in the ball-park.  Enjoy-

Thank you so much.
  • And it's totally safe at that temp.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    edited May 2012
    I did a beer butt chicken with my ribs last weekend.  Temp 250     5lbs chicken.    Took a little under 3 hours.   Cut it into 8 pieces everything was falling off the bone.   I was figuring 45 minutes per lbs when I put it on but was done sooner.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE