Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some honest input...BGE vs. Kamado Vision as a gift

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
We are pitching in and getting my FIL an egg for Father's Day. My Bro-in-law found the Kamado Vision at Costco for $560 with nest, side tables, "platesetter" etc. It's loaded. That's $600 cheaper than a Large Egg and still a hell of a present. Any serious concerns about giving him the Kamado? Anyone use one that has doubts or concerns?

Thanks

(PS- I'm considering giving him my Large for $500 and getting an XL, but that is in negotiations at this time. Keep you posted)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sorry but I'm voting Kamado and $600 gift certificate to a nice butcher.
    Ha! He can buy his own meat if I. It him a kamado
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a cheap "made in China" knockoff for someone. Will you help him take it back to Costco when it cracks?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Why not just give him the Large for Father's Day and go buy your XL?  You will save $60 that way and he will have a real Egg.

Also, get your Brother in law to fork over $250 to you for half the cost of the Large.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    +1 With VI-besides then he will have the LBGE toys and that's another bonus...sounds like a win-win.  And you can cook the Father's Day banquet on his LBGE or your XLBGE or both...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I hear you all. The toys are the same so that's not an issue. Dude is old and not in great shape so we need 5 yrs out of it. Still want to work my XL. We'll see how it works.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I purchased the Vision at Costco and decided to return it and get the LBGE at twice the price... At first, I was satisfied with the Vision but then started having problem. The gasket fried because the top dome was not alligned with the bottom vessel. The base of the firebox was not flat and the floor of the bottom vessel was not leveled so everything was shaking up to a point where I often had to push the grid to be able to close the dome when opening it during a cook. Also, I had to remove material from 2 of the legs on the cart using a dremel to be able to screw the wheels.

I sent an email to customer support and received a call from the owner within a few minutes. He was aware of the problem with the cart because it was reported by several other new owners. He offered to send me a replacement but it was not necessary at this point because I fixed it with my dremel. About the shaking firebox, the gentlemen suggested to "sand" the firebox on a flat concrete surface. It helped a bit but the floor of the bottom vessel not being leveled, the firebox was still shaking... After a few weeks of usage, the firebox cracked...

I sent 2 more emails more than a month ago and have not received any answer or call...

The fact that they called within minutes after sending my first email tells me that they care about their customers but they are probably overhelmed with problems related to poor manufacturing processes.

I have got a BGE last weekend and I am satisfied. The BGE does not look as good as the Vision (in my opinion) but it is of a much better quality. The food tastes the same as in the BGE...

Right now, I am trying to figure out a way to return it at Costco...

Options
    We were going to get the vision at Costco but it was out of stock and we ended up finding the premium version of the vision at home depot on display and from there we decided to get the bge because the paint was chipping on this floor model and it just wasn't as fine tuned as the bge. Now that I have the XL too I can't imagine going smaller
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Hope he gets your large and you get an xl. Sounds like a win win scenario.
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    There is one VERY important thing you get with the egg that can't be matched by any other cooker.... This forum! Give him your L, get your XL and we add another member to the forum!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    The Vision I saw at Costco, it didn't look like the top vent was removable...just adjustable.  If that's the case, can it get to the super high temp range the BGE can do with the dome closed?
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    The Vision I saw at Costco, it didn't look like the top vent was removable...just adjustable.  If that's the case, can it get to the super high temp range the BGE can do with the dome closed?
    The top is removable. It actually is really easy to control the temperature and will go as hot (if not hotter) than the BGE. Good quality material but poor craftsmanship...

Options
    Hope he gets your large and you get an xl. Sounds like a win win scenario.
    +1 !!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thank all. Appreciate the input. I'll Let you know how it shakes out.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    There is one VERY important thing you get with the egg that can't be matched by any other cooker.... This forum! Give him your L, get your XL and we add another member to the forum!
    Yeah, he does not even do email and have never been on the web in his life so the forum will have to do without on this one :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    and I'd bet more than a few non-BGE Kamado owners cruise the BGE forums anyway. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    and I'd bet more than a few non-BGE Kamado owners cruise the BGE forums anyway. 
    That's what I figured. I would.
  • ckh
    ckh Posts: 9
    Options
    We are pitching in and getting my FIL an egg for Father's Day. My Bro-in-law found the Kamado Vision at Costco for $560 with nest, side tables, "platesetter" etc. It's loaded. That's $600 cheaper than a Large Egg and still a hell of a present. Any serious concerns about giving him the Kamado? Anyone use one that has doubts or concerns?

Thanks

(PS- I'm considering giving him my Large for $500 and getting an XL, but that is in negotiations at this time. Keep you posted)

I know this is older, but I have to say, I'm so disappointed in most of the comments on this thread. I have a BGE and a Vision. The misinformation abounds. Both are great. READ THAT AGAIN. Both. I can cook food on both and you wouldn't be able to tell me which was which. Both are solid, no ceramic issues and the Vision I have had for years. I have seen issues with both. Even these forums have people asking advice about Egg issues, so I don't want to hear BS about how they don't. It comes with the territory. There are forums galore for all major brands, only difference I see, is that most of the other forums aren't filled with snobbery, but helpfu, friendly people. Lastly, the Vision price is a great one, one of the best deals in the business. Doesn't mean that one shouldn't buy an Egg if they want to. Choice is awesome, bad advice is not. Off my soapbox now.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

Agreed.  Refreshing a 5 year old thread so you can rail against the comments in it.  Seems your time would be better spent cooking on your Kamado Vision.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Here we go again.  And as seems to be the trend, within the the first 5 posts from a new forum member... 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Gee, I wonder what Centex ended up doing  - now that this zombie thread is walking again.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    ckh said:

Thanks

I know this is older, but I have to say, I'm so disappointed in most of the comments on this thread. I have a BGE and a Vision. The misinformation abounds. Both are great. READ THAT AGAIN. Both. I can cook food on both and you wouldn't be able to tell me which was which. Both are solid, no ceramic issues and the Vision I have had for years. I have seen issues with both. Even these forums have people asking advice about Egg issues, so I don't want to hear BS about how they don't. It comes with the territory. There are forums galore for all major brands, only difference I see, is that most of the other forums aren't filled with snobbery, but helpfu, friendly people. Lastly, the Vision price is a great one, one of the best deals in the business. Doesn't mean that one shouldn't buy an Egg if they want to. Choice is awesome, bad advice is not. Off my soapbox now.
    Did you own a vision grill back in 2012?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    SEE KAMADO FRUAD .COM .
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Weak troll game.
  • Legume