Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-1-1, 3-2, 3-2-1 methods for Ribs

Options
Phoenix824
Phoenix824 Posts: 243
edited May 2012 in Forum Feedback

I have seen people talk about a 3-1-1 method,  a 3-2-1 method,  I think a 5-1 method.     Can someone explain what these mean?

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE

Comments

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    The numbers represent time on the grill and time wrapped in foil in this order: grill-foil-grill. Personally, I have most success with 3-1.5-1. That is, 3 hours on the grill, then wrap in foil and put on for 1.5 hours, then unwrap and put back on grill for an hour, saucing with 30 min and 15 min remaining. Did that tonight and got excellent results.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    The time in the foil is supposed to make them more tender, juicy, or both?
  • hartofatiger
    hartofatiger Posts: 204
    Options
    3-2-1 IMHO makes the ribs fall off the bone. I like a little pull to the ribs, so 3-1-1 works well. Mine went about 20 min over at the end.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I don't wrap them in foil.  IMO, that's akin to boiling them as they steam in their own juice.  They get tender just giving them 4 -5 hours at 250* and then saucing as desired.   5-1 is 5 hrs cooking at 250* and the last hour with sauce.

I raise the heat to at least 300* when saucing to slightly crystallize and bake it on.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I'm with Ragtop99-I like to let the BGE do all the work after I prep the food, fire and whatever else.  So I'm in the X-0-0 camp. And they are always great-no sauce either-that's on the side.  to each his/her own:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
    Options
    I do 3-2-1. I've done this twice. Works nicely.

Thx,

TarHeelBBQ