Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
Rblument
Rblument Posts: 27
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first pulled pork on memorial.  Any suggestions.  Shoulder or Butt?  Good Dry Rub? Barbecue Sauce while cooking or after? Intend to do indirect heat at about 250 degrees.

Comments

• rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options

Cook both, there are 2 different flavors from them. If you want to use premade rub, try Big Poppa's Money rub followed with his Finishing Dust, or Blues Hog rub. If you want a basic rub, try:

1cup brown sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1tblsp. pepper

1tblsp. koser salt

1 tblsp granulated garlic

1 tblsp granulated onion

1/2 tblsp cinnamin

1/4 tblsp mexican chacolate

Try using peach wood for your smoke wood. I would wait to sauce, the rub will get a bark on the pork and the sauce tends to burn.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options

Search around here and the "other forum" as there is more info than you could digest.  And the good 'ol fall-back site for  great info that covers cooking and about everything else related to ceramic cooking:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Rblument
    Options
    How long would u cook a 5-6 lb butt. Do I have to start it the night b4 or can I start it early in the morn to eat around 6 PM?
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Options
    we cook ours between 12 to 14 hours, but time isn't the way to cook. put a probe in and watch the temps. It will stall at about 165, this can hold or even drop for several hours. Don't panic, leave it alone it will come up. remove when it reaches 195 foiland put in a towel in and empty ice chest for a few hours. this will let the temp come up the last little bit. It will also allow the jucies to stay in the butt.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Doing my first pulled pork on memorial.  Any suggestions.  Shoulder or Butt?  Good Dry Rub? Barbecue Sauce while cooking or after? Intend to do indirect heat at about 250 degrees.
    The butt is one part of the shoulder, the picnic the other. Both are fine. The butt has a little more yield. The picnic seems to cook faster (for me at least.)

Don't sauce while cooking. A good heavy coat of rub is all that's needed. Near me, a couple of butcher's offer their own mixes, and there is one available by a competition cooker. The best I've had, I bought online. You can just use a bunch of brown sugar, paprika, salt and black pepper, with an emphasis on the sugar, if nothing else.

250 indirect works fine, expect 1.5 - 2 hours per pound, but don't be surprised if its faster or slower. If faster, just double wrap in foil, then towels, and into a cooler for a few hours. If slower, jack the temperature up as high as 350, and maybe mop w. apple juice or beer till the internal hits 205.

I like the traditional thin Carolina style sauces at the end w. the pulled meat.

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Good Luck with the cook. It took me a couple of butt cooks to get comfortable. Suggestion: clean all the ash from the egg. That way you should have a clean burn all the way along. As rsmith suggested, get a probe and it will help with deciding when to pull the butt off the egg. Don't stress to much. Enjoy the ride. 
    Pura Vida!! Let us know how it turns out.
    O:-)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • volntitan
    volntitan Posts: 95
    Options
    I am monitoring the egg temp right now and waiting to put the food probe in since I am doing 3 butts roughly 4-5 lbs each. Thought about 4-5 hours in I'll pith the prob into one of the butts. Is that "ok"?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    W/O knowing your cook temp-I always see around 2 hrs/# at a dome of 250+/-.  That said, you could be a good distance from the finish-line.  You can always crank up the cook temp to punch through the stall/plateau to get finished.  Search "turbo butt" for more.  If your temp probe is electronic and has a cable to the outside monitor you can put that in any time.  If not ,, then if you are "good" put it in such that you could read it through the DFMT opening.  Said another way, try not to open the dome too many times-but should none of the above work then just open it up, grab your temps and proceed.  Regardless-low&slows are quite forgiving and if you open a few times all you do is extend the cook time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • volntitan
    Options
    See my above post please...
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Nothing to add based on your other post-good luck-
  • volntitan
    Options
  • Rblument
    Options
    Thanks all. I'll let u know how it comes out. Will prob get up at 5 am on Monday bc I have little grandkids and they'll want din by 6. It should b a fun day. I have a polder digital in-oven thermo/timer with a 43" high heat silicon probe wire. I presume I can put it in and close the egg over the flexible wire and place the thermo read out on a table a few feet away and it will b a tight enuf seal? Should I do it from the start so I don't have to open the egg or should I wait 4-5 hours. My butt is boneless-5.5 lbs. have a have nite all. Go Sixers!!!!! Ad Phillies!!!
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    You will have no issues with the seal, I put my probe in when the meat hits the grill. I do take the added precaution of running the probe wire along the path of a platesetter leg to protect it from direct flame/heat but other than that I just let it chug along. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Rblument
    Options
    Ok. Another question. I just bought a polder THM 362-86 thermometer which I plan to use tomorrow for a pork butt. The naked whiz says to wrap the cable with aluminum foil to protect it which I will do. But in reading directions it says use it only as an instant read thermo on a BBQ or smoker. I saw a review on amazon where the reviewer said he uses it on BBQ nws the warning and has had no issues. Has anyone had any experience here?
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    You just hi-jacked your own thread?