Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie - Struggling with temp

Fish166
Fish166 Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in Pork

I am trying to do my first pork butt and it is not starting well.  I am doing a 5# butt and have put my rub on it and let it sit in fridge overnight.  Got my fire started, let the BGE ceramic warm up for about 30 mi at approx 300'.  Placed my soaked woodchips on the hot charcoal and added the plate setter with a drip pan.  Placed the butt on the grate.  All good so far.

It has been an hour and I am struggling to get my thermo temp above 250'.  I was going to try to do this thing at 275' for dinner tonight.  I have opened up the bottom damper a bit without much increase.  Even tried closing the top vent a bit thinking that might even hold the heat to raise my dome temp.  Even a half hour later I am still just holding a dome temp of 250' and my bottom damper is open about 2 1/2 to 3".

Comments