Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead - Great First Week, Couple of Issues

Mattlock
Mattlock Posts: 64
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I picked up my Large Demo Egg at the Georgia Mountain Eggfest last weekend.  I had a great time and felt like I learned a lot, which I needed to.  I had had a really old Weber grill since college, it had the old pull back propane connector and they have expired and can't be refilled so I knew it was time for a REAL GRILL!  So far I've cooked every day but one.  I did a pork loin, sweet potatoes, corn, chicken tenderloins, and a whole chicken on my sittin chicken.  The food has been unbelievably awesome and I know I've still got room for growth because my temp is still fluctuating and other little tricks I need to get down.

My Issues:
1) Maybe air flow?  I'm lighting my Egg in 2 places, letting the fire get going with the bottom vent wide open and Egg open for 10 minutes.  Then closing the Egg with bottom vent wide open and daisy wheel off to get it up to temp.  The first 2 grills it got really got really quick, but stabilized once i closed off some air flow.  The last 2 cooks it has stalled a bit.  Today when I was cooking the chicken I had the bottom vent wide up and the top about half open and it maybe passed 400 for a minute or 2 in a 1.5 hour cook plus 35 minutes to get it going.  I bought an ash tool today and cleaned that out before I started it up, tried to move the lump around to get rid of the ash but I'm wondering what I'm going wrong.  Ideas?

2) I'm wanting a raised grid, but I'm not sure I've seen one I love.  I should have looked more at the Eggfest.  The local dealer has the half moon and the 3 tier with the pole in the middle.  I'm not sure I "love" either one of those, but don't know what my other options are.  I think I've prefer one additional level that is as big as possible with as few obstructions as possible.  Ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.  This weekend I'm planning on using "Car Wash Mike's" baby back rib recipe for my first indirect cook using my plate setter, searing some Ribeye's at high temperature and grilling a classic American hamburger.  I also bought a cast iron dutch oven Wednesday, my wife is wanting to get in on the Egg as well!  Hopefully we all use the Holiday weekend to make some great food!
Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!

Comments

• NOOB here also. Wife and I picked up a large BGE last week down here in SE GA and I did our first cook on Tuesday. Did a rack of ribs indirect, spatchcocked a chicken direct and then did peach cobbler in a dutch oven, indirect.

I have just about all of the same questions as you, so I'll just hang and see what kind of advice is offered.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    edited May 2012

For different set up options cruse around this site (http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/home.html) If you're not sure what you want give Tom a call, the number is on the "Contact Us" page great guy he can make sure your getting exactly what you are looking for.

As for the Egg getting up to temp, it's just kind of a learning curve there is another thread going right now with a lot of input on the subject (Stack or Dump Lump)

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Make sure you stir the old lump around real good before lighting for the next cook. The ash can reduce airflow. Make sure the opening in your firebox is lined up with the bottom vent.

As far as two level cooking there are several options. The ceramic grill store has many options, check the link above.
    You can buy a second grid, even a weber grid will fit, and place it on three fire bricks. Also bge sells a grid extender. Here is another place to check out. Go to info central, tons of info here. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Yet another raised grid option ceramigrillworks.com.

Every 4 or 5 cooks I remove the charcoal and steel grate. Then I vaccum the ash pit with a shop vac. Just make sure you have a Drywall bag in your vac. You may have tiny pieces of lump clogging your air holes in the steel grate.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    As cortguitarman said, the most common reason for your temperature not being right is clogged hole in the fire grate.  I no longer had that problem since I replaced my grate with a High-Q grate.  You can make or buy a wiggle rod and insert it through the bottom vent and poke it up through the holes to clear them.

A good wiggle rod can be found at: http://thirdeyebbq.com/WiggleRods.aspx
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Alll good info above-and unless you "have to have" a BGE labeled raised grid system-don't waste your $$ on that 3 tier rig with the pole in the center.  I have one and retired it shortly after-too restrictive.  Personally I would go with the simple options first then as you get run-time on the BGE you will be better able to sort out what you want.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    @lousubcap 6 months in to egging and I want it all! ;)
    Mark Annville, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @lousubcap 6 months in to egging and I want it all! ;)
    So do I but I had to win a major concession just to get the entering ticket to the "game".  I have been  patient with my add-ons and short of another BGE, I'm good.  That said, I do check craigslist every few days-but they don't appear:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Raised grid...

Ain't that what four bolts, eight washers and four nuts are for? I almost went for the six bolt option but I don't think it really needs it. What can I say, I'm cheap. 
    Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Mattlock
    Thanks everyone, I cleaned out tbe egg and arranged the lump. After reading many comments I'm thinking the local 'Earth Fare' grocery brand had a ton of small pieces that clogged the grate.

On a positive note, I bought the racks of baby back ribs and 4 Ribeyes plus have 2 fat burgers all ready to go for the weekend! :)
  • Mattlock
    Everything worked great today.

Cooked burgers, baby back ribs, Mac-n-cheese, baked beans and chocolate chip cookies.

I did the burgers at about 450 and underestimated how long it would take to get the Egg back to 225-250, but the ribs were still awesome! Smokey Mac-n-cheese was amazing!
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Adjustable rig from ceramic grill store. Keep holes unblocked in the fire grate.
    Both already stated. Damn I have to try that smokey Mac n cheese!
  • Mattlock
    I'll post the recipe soon, I used to do it in a crock pot so it's perfect for the egg.