Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large 9 1/2 lb. Butt

Options
eggandart
eggandart Posts: 2
edited May 2012 in Pork
I have a whole large butt, 9.5 lbs.  I want to cook it whole, and low and slow 220.  But, never did one this big before.  How much time should I plan for?  Thanks.

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Options
    1.5 hours a pound is a good guess but that is at 250-275 dome temp.  220 is a little low, wouldn't go below 250 and cook till 200 F internal temp. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    edited May 2012
    Options

@ OP-BGE has a temperature off-set for indirect cooks that will really affect your cook-time.  Basically the dome thermo reads 20-40*F hotter than the cooking grid.  Longer the  dome is shut the narrower the gap but as Tweev_tip and others have mentioned, go hotter and let the BGE do the work.  I still find around 2hrs/# with the dome 270*F (+/-) for pork butt cooks.  Plan long and if finished early you can always pack and wrap.

BTW-since you have cooked butts before, then you can scale what you have seen in the past to this adventure.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • eggandart
    eggandart Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone...much appreciated...I'll take your advise and I think I'll go for the 250-275 and plan on @18-19 hours.  Of course, I'll have it done a couple hours before the party, wrapped and ready to pull.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    I cooked a 10lb whole butt 2 weeks ago, I have a bbq guru digiq dx2 BGE unit and had the temp at 260 the whole time. It took 14 hours to get the internal to 200

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Options
    I cook 8-9 lb butts a little differently.  I put it on the egg anywhere from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm the night before and at a temperature of 210.  I have a Auber controller and do not have to worry about the temperature overnight.  The low temperature will get the meat to about 170-175 by morning.  I then raise the egg temperature to 250 for a while and then 275 for a while.  Doing this I can adjust my finish time.  It is easy with a pit controller.
    __________ Chris