Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Gauge

volntitan
volntitan Posts: 95
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
So looks like my temperature gauge isn't working anymore and I'm having a cookout in the next couple of days.  So unless there is a way to "fix" it, I need some way to gauge my temp.  In addition, my remote meat therm. crapped out as well this weekend (it was a cheapy from home depot).  To make matters worse, the 2 local BGE places both carry the replacement one but one place is out and the other wants like $35 for the gauge that isn't even the stock gauge and I just refuse to deal with that kind of robbery.  I checked amazon and won't be able to get one in time.  So my question is...is there a cheap "universal" one at lowes or home depot that I can grab that can work in a pinch, like this?  Should I just go for a new meat therm instead?  I'm having to redo my cart (I have the cypress one from Egg with the cheap staples) so trying to keep cost down and wife happy ;)

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Calibrate it. Ther eis a nut on the back you have to turn. Boil water (rapid boil) and insert the thero in. When it hits the highest temp it will get to, you just adjust that nut to make it say 212. That should fix it.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason

Yes, you can also just use that one. It will install just like the BGE one.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i shoveled my gages into the lake one year by accident and then went without gages for about a year and a half, not really a big issue, the egg is pretty forgiving temp wise, its the cook that cant take the stress of not knowing if its 325 or 350 or 375 in there.
    :)) i would check the drawer in the kitchen for an oven therm or go buy one at the local supermarket til you can order up a tel tru
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • volntitan
    Michigan...so you are saying it might just need an adjustment?  I'll give that a try.  I have one of the old "non tel tru" gauges I believe since the egg is 3-4 years old.  On the plus side, the place that wanted to charge so much for one did have Wicked Good Coal in stock for $22, so since I'll need some more charcoal, that's a plus!
  • michigan_jason
    Michigan...so you are saying it might just need an adjustment?  I'll give that a try.  I have one of the old "non tel tru" gauges I believe since the egg is 3-4 years old.  On the plus side, the place that wanted to charge so much for one did have Wicked Good Coal in stock for $22, so since I'll need some more charcoal, that's a plus!

Yes, google "calibrate big green egg thermometer"

• volntitan
    Thanks folks.  I did see where Amazon has a Maverick ET-73 for $32 and ET-7 for $38 that can monitor meat and inside.  I know Maverick is a top brand, but anyone have any pro/con for these products?
  • fishlessman
    the et 7 is set up wrong, you want either the 73 or 732, the 732 has better probe cables and i think they fixed the flaw with the switches. ive been using a 73 for 6 or 7 years but would get the 732 if ordering now
    fukahwee maine

• volntitan
    Just not sure I can justify the extra $25 or so in cost.  Also someone suggested the Oregon Scientific AW 131 which I can get for $35
  • fishlessman
    just dont get the et7, it has preprogrammed meat doneness temps that dont work out to well
    fukahwee maine

• volntitan
    Good to know about the ET-7...will def. mark that off my list.  I am concerned about the range of the 73.  100 ft. is fine, if it truly is 100 ft. and will read in the house, but if not, makes the remote part kind of useless.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Isn't the dome thermometer covered under the BGE warranty?  I know when mine freaked out (recalibration no longer effective), the nearby dealer swapped it out for one from a floor model (at no charge).
  • fishlessman
    my eggs are about 30 feet from the house and i only trust it in a window that faces the egg, my house is 6 feet from the water, cell phones , cordless phones etc dont work wel in my area
    fukahwee maine

• volntitan
    I think the warranty on the temp gauge is only a year.  

Anyone use the ET-85 by maverick?
  • volntitan
    Nevermind...the ET-85 isn't remote!
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    I called my dealer when my dome thermometer stopped working, even calibrating didn't help, it was sticking. They shipped me a replacement free of charge.

As far as remote thermometer, the Maverick 732 is worth every penny, especially if you do any low and slow cooks.
  • volntitan
    Well, called my dealer that my father spent alot of money at (got one for me and my sister as well as himself for gifts)...bought 3 tricked out eggs with the cart.  All large.  Told them about the thermostat and they couldn't be less interested in helping.  Asked about a new one and they said they had them and they thought they were around $30.  Then asked about wireless thermometers and was basically told that I would have to come down and look at them because they didn't know anything about them.  Needless to say, won't be shopping there ever again.

Trying to figure out how to finagle my way into that ET-732.  Sounds like that is clearly the best one to get (unless someone disagrees).
  • volntitan
    OK...I just came out and asked the wife if I could spend the money on the ET-732 and she said fine (she is awesome wife).  So before I order from Amazon, is that the one I should get now that my budget has been approved?  Hate to order it just to find out that it wasn't the "best" one in that price range to get.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    As far as remote thermometers go, it's pretty much the standard here.  I bought mine shortly after getting the Egg and it makes things so much more convenient.  
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I should add, I only use it on indirect cooks, as I've heard too many stories about the probes getting over heated.  I know lots of folks use them on direct, but I'm shying away from that.
  • volntitan
    I guess only time I would use it for "direct" would be to get the temp of the grill.  Honestly I do almost everything with the ceramic indirect plate in place.  I'll probably line it with heavy duty aluminum foil for extry (I'm from the south) protection.

Now on to what lump coal to buy ;)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I'm in with Fx. Bought mine not long after getting my egg. It does help let you know if the fire starts raging, or is going out. 
    i also don't use it for pizza (although some do), or steak searing. But will use for roasting, and smoking. Also keep the probes dry, don't let water in the wire end. 

DISCLAIMER: Having this thing will make you want to over monitor your temp. Don't give in to the obsession! instead, have a tasty beverage.

On my low and slows I'm usually good with anything between 225 - 300. don't panic if you want to cook at 250 dome, and you start seeing 290, and don't start chasing a temp.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • volntitan
    Don't worry about that tasty beverages.  I have 2 beer fridges in the garage and one with a tap...