Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Range for Kitchen

AUWAG
AUWAG Posts: 73
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know most of you including myself utilize the egg for as much as possible. My wife and I do a good bit of cooking together/indoors as well and are about to redo our kitchen. I was wondering what type of range and size/combination(skillet, griddle, double oven, etc.) you have and can recommend. Thanks for your help and insight!

AUWAG

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    lacanche cluny, love it, nothing i cant fix on it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I love my double oven. There is the convection cooking but I don't use the option. I also have a cooktop that has one burner that is double the size. It needs a big pan or the fire goes up the sides but it's nice to have the horsepower when you need it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    My favorite range was a Wolf 6 burner that our family in Texas has in their island.  It combined with the Ventahood makes an awesome cooking combo with enough power to truly wok inside the house.  The also have a double Wolf convection oven that is separate and built into the wall that was great for the family gathering with multiple dishes going at once.  Not coincidentally, they are the people who introduced me to the Egg.

When I build my dream kitchen, I'd love to have their setup.

Frank
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I'm a longtime subscriber to Consumer Reports, and plain ol' Kenmore has been topping the Reliability charts as long as I have.  Price is right too.
    When/if I ever replace my range-top, I'd hoped to buy a 4-burner range with one burner dedicated to wok cooking.  Amazon did have one rangetop that featured a dedicated burner, but it was $17,000!!!  
    Did I tell you how much I love the heat off my Small Egg??  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    My favorite range was a Wolf 6 burner that our family in Texas has in their island.  It combined with the Ventahood makes an awesome cooking combo with enough power to truly wok inside the house.  The also have a double Wolf convection oven that is separate and built into the wall that was great for the family gathering with multiple dishes going at once.  Not coincidentally, they are the people who introduced me to the Egg.

When I build my dream kitchen, I'd love to have their setup.

Frank

I'm close, I have the Wold 5 burner with a ventahood and Wolf double convection. One thing I read about (and I have the same thing) when the oven is cooling down, there is a 'thud' noise. It sounds like the sheet metal. If you are planning a Wolf oven, maybe see if the latest model fixes that.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28
    We have a KitchenAid gas stove top with four burners and a griddle. The griddle is ok, I wish I had the two extra burners and bought a nice griddle pan instead. Also have a KA double convention oven, we like them a lot. I read a lot about the control boards frying from high heat in them but we did pizza night every weekend at 500 (pre egg of course) and all is well to this point. Now to find some wood to knock on...
  • Chapsz28
    Chapsz28 Posts: 9
    We have the gas top kitchen aid and double convection oven...we just rebuilt our house and designed our kitchen after the huge fire last may...best oven/range ever....wifey wanted all kitchen aid appliances!
  • deeznutz
    deeznutz Posts: 13
    If you got the cash get a Wolf or a Viking 36". You will enjoy cooking. For nice home Stuff and not industrial kitchen aid and jenn air make nice products. I personally like the jennair better.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Viking 36" 6 burner.  I wanted a combo gas / induction, but they don't make those, at least in stovetops.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    I know most of you including myself utilize the egg for as much as possible. My wife and I do a good bit of cooking together/indoors as well and are about to redo our kitchen. I was wondering what type of range and size/combination(skillet, griddle, double oven, etc.) you have and can recommend. Thanks for your help and insight!

AUWAG
    I bought myself a Viking 30" Dual Fuel range.  LOVE IT!  A good range does make a difference.  I love my 15,000 BTU burners.
  • I had a Viking double oven, microwave and warming drawer. I highly suggest NOT BUYING Viking. they were a waste of money and were not even close to GE in regards to quality and consistency. They are using GE parts anyway.
    Warming drawer was never used either.
    just my 2 cents.
    Drunk
  • Village Idiot
    I like our Viking.  Let's be real.  Making a gas burner is not rocket surgery.  To me, a very important point is "how easy is it to clean"?  I am a messy cook, especially when frying something, and the cooktop surface gets pretty bad quickly.  On my old stovetop, it was a real pain in the stike to clean.  The Viking, though not perfect, is a lot easier.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Look into Garland if you're thinking about Wolf or Viking...
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Forget the stove.  Just install a restaurant quality hood and install 2 large BGE's :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • jerseydoug
    jerseydoug Posts: 1
    Our indoor cooker is a plain old Frigidaire gas range that cost us less than our Large BGE, but we splurged on a big Vent-A-Hood that lets us use our cast iron cookware as it was intended. The "big" 17,000 BTU burner works well with a flat bottom wok. I also cook on a 10-burner Garland range at the firehouse and for cooking for two people the Frigidaire does everything I can do on the Garland.

--Doug
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Have a good look at induction tops. They only work with pots and pans that have some carbon steel or iron in them but they are faster than any other method, lowest energy cost and more controllable than gas. I have a 48" Wolf dual fuel and if I had it to do over I would go with induction. My little 2 "burner" unit sees more action than the Wolf. Miele is a good manufacturer

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    We have a 6 burner Wolff with  a 48" hood and love it but it is seeing much less action thanks to the BGE. That being said,you can cook a lot of seafood on 6 burners and the Egg!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    @VI.

i see what you did there.
    :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Village Idiot
    @VI.

i see what you did there.
    :))
    @stike.  I thought I might slip it by.   :-h

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    saw the thread title, and knew fishless would be in there.  wanted to see if he posted a pic.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Thanks guys! I am looking at a wolf, viking, and kitchen aid. Do you think the 48 inch is worth it over the smaller sizes? My wife wants the griddle and I want 6 burners. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    We had a house fire and mine was damaged. I chose the French Top after having the griddle grill combo. Not sure that was a great idea. To do again I would choose the six burner and the griddle

Steve 

Caledon, ON