Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carribean Night!

gtk10583
gtk10583 Posts: 77
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
A great evening to be egging last night.  Grilled up some Jerk chicken, along with grilled plantains and Caribbean rice.  Hope the pictures do it justice.

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I've never made plantains like that. Usually garlic water bath, fry, smash, fry again.
    Do you do anything to them?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice lookin' cook. Would love some details on the rice, even though it has pineapples and Mrs. G would probably 86 it before I got started. Got some details on teh jerk marinade?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gtk10583
    In my opinion, grilled plantains are best:
    • 4 very ripe plantains, peeled and sliced on the bias 1/2-inch thick
    • 2 tablespoons veg oil
    • 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 1/2 cup dark rum
    • 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
    • Salt and freshly ground pepper
    Coated the plantains with oil, grilled for 6-8 minutes at 350F dome temp, then coated them with glaze made from above ingredients.  Easy and good!

• gtk10583
    Nice lookin' cook. Would love some details on the rice, even though it has pineapples and Mrs. G would probably 86 it before I got started. Got some details on teh jerk marinade?
    Got the carribean rice recipe from here:

http://www.food.com/recipe/caribbean-rice-56552
  • GooseEgg53
    GooseEgg53 Posts: 12
    Where did ya get that grate set-up?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

Where did ya get that grate set-up?
    From the looks of it, it is the two-tier rack from www.ceramicgrillworks.com (will defer to OP)-I have that set-up and find it to be extremely functional and very well-built. The top grate is 15" in diameter (LBGE) and has adjustable height and pivots out to allow easy access to the 18" lower grate.  Based on a thread of a couple of weeks ago, the design I have (which allows full use with the platesetter in place) is no longer made and they have gone back to the original which has some height limitations.  If interested best to call the company on their toll-free # and sort it out.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gtk10583

From the looks of it, it is the two-tier rack from www.ceramicgrillworks.com
    lousubcap is correct.  Got mine at the same website.  Love it on my
    large BGE.  The height limitation is not so much a big deal while using
    the platesetter- at least I have not run into any limiting situations
    yet.  With platesetter, I was able to grill a spatchcocked bird on the
    bottom while roasting ABTs on the top grate.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    The cook looks great but you get the A+ for the Caribbean blue plates!

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Thanks for the recipe, sounds much healthier than my double fried one.

BTW, in the first pic, luving the pig salt & pepper shakers looking at the chicken like "whew, not one of ours!"
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • GooseEgg53
    GooseEgg53 Posts: 12
    Thanks for the intel guys!!!
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Wow great post. Love that stuff. Will definitely be replicating this one. Years ago I wanted a drum barbeque like they use in Jamaica. I grow scotch bonnets every summer. Still thinking about growing their all spice.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    All that great looking food done without a gasket. Or, maybe a rutland on top????
    Eggo in N. MS
  • gtk10583
    That's right, no gasket.  Burned it to a crisp from all our Friday night pizza cooks.  Have had no problems going gasketless.  Even have plenty of lump left over for the next cook after shutting the egg down.  BUT... I haven't done a low & slow cook yet so can't comment on that aspect.