Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a little Rutland help please?!!!!!

NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok so I am going to put a Rutland on my medium today and I need to know if anyone has trouble with the Ultra Copper permatex? Until a while ago I thought that the copper was the way to go but I read a couple of posts in the last couple weeks from some people having issues with it. What is the general concensus????? Help appreciated as I need to go buy it so I can get it done today for rib smoke tomorrow. Thanks!!!
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• I went with a Rutland/Ultra Copper Permatex gasket on my Large 2-3 years ago and I have had no problems Before I was lucky to get a full year out of the stock gasket material.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I just put one on a few weeks again with the same combo, Rutland and Ultra copper Permatex.  Mine hasn't budged, and after having it on for a few weeks it really seals well. Did steaks last night at 700 and it shows no signs of wear.

I put the Permatex on in a zig zag around 1/4 the Egg at a time, then spread that out with a little trowel I made (didn't have a trowel that small so I took a tin can lid and some tin snips and made one lol).  In my opinion the anxiety of putting one on and worrying about the right glue, was it clean enough, was I doing it right, etc, was way worse than the actual job.  
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I put on a Rutland with the Permatex last Saturday.  Have cooked 4-5 times and last night did a burn out with thermometer buried for a long period of time.  Gasket is still tight.  No problemo.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    I went with a Rutland/Ultra Copper Permatex gasket on my Large 2-3 years ago and I have had no problems Before I was lucky to get a full year out of the stock gasket material.
    +1
  • NightwingXP
    Very good!! Thanks everybody. I just got back from getting a 3M grinding wheel ( per naked whiz) and some ultra copper. I already had a Rutland so just wanted to make sure. Appreciate the feedback!!!
  • NightwingXP
    Just got done putting on the Rutland. Gonna let it setup for a bit and then re-attach the dome lid and fire up to 250 for a couple hours. That Ultra Copper is tricky stuff! Seems to work good though. Time will tell.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Make sure you check out the "cure time" on the Permatex....I can't remember what it says, but I know I waited 24 before firing up.
  • NightwingXP
    Crap!! too late now. read naked whiz's site and I already have it up to 260 and running steady. BRB!!!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have Rutland's with Ultra Copper on all four of mine.  Why did you fire it up?  I let mine cure for a couple days on it's own before cooking on them.  Going on three years for my larges and zero problems.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,359
    I thought you just put the Rutland on one side (top or bottom)? If I am correct then why take off the dome?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited May 2012
    I thought you just put the Rutland on one side (top or bottom)? If I am correct then why take off the dome?
    Yes, the Rutland just goes on one side.  Removing the dome makes it much easier to remove the old gasket and install the new.  Besides, the dome has to be adjusted anyway due to the thickness of the Rutland.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • NightwingXP
    edited May 2012

Yes, the Rutland just goes on one side.  Removing the dome makes it much easier to remove the old gasket and install the new.  Besides, the dome has to be adjusted anyway due to the thickness of the Rutland.

Mike
    You nailed it MIke. I took the dome off and turned it upside down, then set it in the bottom half of the egg to clean the old gasket off and grind it smooth with a 3M stripper wheel in my drill. Worked like a charm. I fired it up cause I was reading the directions of Naked Whiz's site. MY error was the fact that his directions were based on using the cement that came with the gasket. I screwed up and spaced off the fact that I was using Ultra Copper. My bad. I killed it instantly and it seems fine. Did not soften up or anything. I only had it up to 260 and it was only for about 30-40 minutes or so. Seems ok. Thanks for the feedback MIke!