Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck Breast Suggestions?

MikeP624
MikeP624 Posts: 292
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have 4 duck breast in the fridge. Looking to make some type of appetizer with them. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Now you are talking my language (for the end product). I've never smoked a duck breast but I've eaten tons of them and catered high end events with them as well (I bought mine from Nueske's and they were awesome- Google Nueske's for the best bacon and duck breast you will ever eat in your life). So start by smoking your duck breasts (search for time and temps- haven't done it). Once you have a smoked duck breast, chill it and cube it up into 1/4" squares (don't measure, just small pieces)

Here is the recipe (huge hit with everyone we served it to):

1) Get a fresh baguette and slice in 1/4" slices. Toast them on a pizza stone on the egg or in your oven with EVOO and salt and pepper until lightly toasted

2) Place a schmear (technical term) of brie on the toasted baguette  (I love d'affinois brie and it's available at most decent stores). If you can't find that one, just ask for a good brie. The Duck is the star here, but good cheese is always a bonus.

3) Place a good sized pinch of smoked duck on the brie

4) put a dime sized dollop (another tech term) of Fig Jam (trust me) on the brie

5) A razor thin slice of jalapeno or Serrano pepper on top of the fig jam. (do this on half the slices so guests that don't like spice have a treat too. 

Here is a link to d'affenois: 

Here is a really good fig jam: 

So, I grew up all meat and taters and still like that type of food. I opened a restaurant and catering business and my chef turned me on to this our first wedding catering gig. I've been hooked ever since. Trust me, it's amazing and plenty manly with a pile of smoked duck on top.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Here is what we do with them and they always disappear. The ones we do are wild ducks.

Cut breast into bite sized pieces
    Cut an onion into small petals
    Slice a pack of bacon in half
    Get a can of mild jalepeno halves. Faro brand

Place onion petal on one side, duck breast in the center, jalepeno on the other side, wrap with half slice bacon. Place four our five on a soaked wood skewer and cook until bacon is done. After they are done hold skewer and slide them off. I do not season them in any way. They are great and simple.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • hartofatiger
    hartofatiger Posts: 204
    duck breast with slice of jalepeno, some cream cheese, and wrap in bacon.  It's  hmmm, hmmm good.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Sounds good too. Maybe do a few both ways
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • MikeP624

@ Cen-Tex.

That sounds pretty awesome.  Unfortunately i do not have time to brine and smoke the duck breast.  I think i will try it with just grilled duck breast.

Thanks for the idea.

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I will definitely be trying that with the baguette and Brie. Damn that sounds good. I make a dip with brown sugar and almond slivers in melted Brie.
  • It's really good. Wish I could take credit for it but I had a really talented chef (although not as tale Ted at staying sober or showing up for work) who came up with it.

Should work with grilled duck breast. Just get some good smoke on it. Ours were applewood smoked for what that's worth.
  • Now you can be fancy and say you've made duck breast canapé (fancy word for finger foods).
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Sounds good. Feel like I am talking with someone on kitchen knife forum my primary hang out as (deckhand)
    I always appreciate good cooking and so does my wife,kids,and her coworkers. The mini egg is already popular in our house. Can't wait for the xl when I get my tax return.
  • You'll love it. Yiu can do so much with an XL.
  • MikeP624
    @ Cen-tex. those appetizers we're amazing.
  • @ Cen-tex. those appetizers we're amazing.
    atta boy! Really glad you enjoyed. It was always one of our best at the shop; glad to see it can be done at home as well. I told my wife you might be trying it and we both agreed that it was time to order some Nueske's duck breast and try it again.

Did you try anything new or go by the book? Interested if you added something that worked for you. I'm always looking for new stuff.

• MikeP624
    I just grilled the duck, did not have time to properly smoke it. I did throw in a few chunks of maple while grilling.
  • I just grilled the duck, did not have time to properly smoke it. I did throw in a few chunks of maple while grilling.
    cool. So grilled duck, brie, fig jam and jalapeno?

• MikeP624
    Yep and it was awesome. I think the jalapeño makes a big difference. Did some without and they were not as good.
  • Yep and it was awesome. I think the jalapeño makes a big difference. Did some without and they were not as good.
    I agree. Just some people are freaked by it. 
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Next time try the brine....regardless of how you'll be cooking. I cook 100+ pounds of duck meat per year (all wild) and have converted a LOT of folks to wild duck meat by using a brine. 
  • Austin- What do you use for brine?

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Austin- What do you use for brine?

Pretty straightforward - 1 gallon water, 1/4 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of BBQ rub (low salt items like Head Country works well)

Typically will brine for a little longer than domestic birds....8 hours works well. 
  • Austin- What do you use for brine?

Pretty straightforward - 1 gallon water, 1/4 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of BBQ rub (low salt items like Head Country works well)

Typically will brine for a little longer than domestic birds....8 hours works well. 
    Thanks

• gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Sorry to revive this thread, but my hunt buddy is begging me to figure out how to do some of the duck we harvested last season...

Austin-
    You brine then what?  Set up, temp, etc....

Has anyone tried the appetizer with wild duck?

Any other suggestions?

Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • gator, both of the ways mentioned in this post are great with wild duck, it is the only duck I use. 

I think it is the only reason we get invited anywhere, 

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain