Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your pizza setup?

Jrod72
Jrod72 Posts: 67
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a pizza stone for my egg and know everyone has a different setup from laying their stone directly on the setter too raised off the setter. I have done a pizza already using a airbake cookie sheet and it came out great. Now I want to use the stone and need some good tips on how you all do it. Thanks

Comments

• the butcher
    the butcher Posts: 20
    I put my pizza stone on the place setter legs down.  Temp around 550 to 600 degrees.  Make sure you let the pizza stone heat back up after taking your pizza off. 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

PS legs down..  little green egg feet on top of that to hold up the pizza stone..  somewhere around 550ish

no grate

• Canary
    Canary Posts: 37
    Plate setter legs up, grill, pizza stone. All on an XL. Perfect for crispy, thin crusts.
    If Canary can do it you can too!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Plate setter legs down with either the ceramic feet or my Woo ring from my Small under the pizza stone.  Temps around 500-550.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I haven't done one with the plate setter yet. But my usual set up is to have the adjustable rig in the large egg, stock grid on top, 2 red bricks wrapped in foil(they're only used in the egg) and the 13 inch stone on top of that, leaves about 5-6 inches of clearance to the top of the dome, I like having it high up in the egg for the radiant heat. going to get a 16 inch stone and try a cook at felt level with platesetter in
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431

TONS of great pizza ideas on this site, but this is what I do . . . just did another one Sunday and it turned out great.  I think the best combo is a very thin crust with minimum (not heavy) toppings.

1) start full load of charcoal to ~ 500F, platesetter legs down, then ceramic green knobs, then stone on top of knobs (also can separate with grill grate between placesetter and stone). This will keep some air flow and avoids burning crust.

2) let it burn for a solid 45 mins until smoke is clear in color (AKA until you waft hand on top and do not smell smoke) - then open egg a little more and get temp to ~600 for the actual pizza cook (I like it 650+)

3) roll dough on parchment paper, top your pizza & paint garlic butter on the outer crust

4) put your 'za on stone WITH parchment paper for first ~3 mins (take scissors and cut paper around dough larger than dough so paper doesnt stick out over the edge and burn)

4) ~3 mins into the cook, open the egg. Pull parchment paper off, slide crust direct on stone (optional to throw corn meal on stone before direct crust)

5) ~7 more mins pull pizza (you can peak from top down to check crust/cheese) and enjoy.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    NDG - When you roll your dough on parchment, do you put flour on the parchment?

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Plate Setter legs down, pizza stone on top of three 3/4 inch copper plumbing elbows. Temp 550 * F.

Everything heated for 40 minutes or more.

Use parchment paper,easier to get off pizza peel ( still use some cornmeal, for taste, under the pizza.)

Lightly browned edges and melted cheese - - Done.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506

After you burn your gasket up and call for a replacement they will tell you to do it with the legs up.

But I always do mine about 550-600. Make sure that the stone has about 45 min warm up. I use a couple of pizza screens from GFS, easy on, easy off. Just make sure you don't press the dough into them (PIA- to clean up).

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Scott805 - no need for flour with parchment paper - stuff is built for non stick

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Jrod72
    Great tips from everyone. Thanks for making this site a great informational tool.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

I have done a few pizzas and I am still confused by the use of parchment paper.  I just put my dough on my wife's cookie sheets, with some corn meal under, then they slide right off onto the stone. 

Doesn't the paper burn from the heat of 600 degree stone?

• crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    I roll my dough on the pizza peel.  Then move the dough to the Air-bake pan.  Next I build the pizza with the toppings.  When ready to cook I place the Air-bake pan on the pizza stone which sits on the 3 BGE feet on top of the platesetter legs down.

After about 3 minutes I slide the pizza off the Air-bake pan directly to the stone.  Cook on stone till done.

In the past I had trouble sliding the dough off the peel to the stone.  Too many toppings on the uncooked dough.  Using the Air-bake pans solves this problem as the dough is firmed up some when I slide it off.

__________ Chris
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Plate setter legs down, Wad up three balls of tinfoil and make flat on one side, lay those on platesetter then my stone on top of the tinfoil. Same concept as some on here, but I am too cheap to buy the woo or the fancy big green egg claws.
  • Jrod72
    Tyenic1 your not cheap! I started buying green egg brand accessories every time I needed something and found out there had to be a stopping point to the madness! At least my wife thinks so.