Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are your obsessions besides grilling?

Options

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I am new to the egg culture. Enjoy very much. My wife is an excellent cook, who along with 9 of her friend has currently published a cook book and they are now working on a second book. So it is fun to have another thing in common. She is a good sounding board when I start dreaming about whipping something up.
    I also enjoy Rving. Harleys' and fishing. Love spending time with our grandchildren.

Large, small, and a mini
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    @ hillbilly

This is a article by Jake Rossen on the first Pride event. Great information on behind the scenes and the thoughts of the fighters and other people involved. http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pride-and-Glory-25240

Here's a thread on a back and forth of letters between Rorion and some traditional martial arts master who was criticizing the guys in the early UFC's. Rorion seems to have wanted him to compete: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f61/ho...tarted-403865/

Here's a thread about Euclides Pereira, a relatively unknown Vale Tudo legend from the old days in Brazil: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/bl...egend-1278197/

You may or may not know of Mitsuyo Maeda, the Japanese Judo/Jujitsu practitioner who came to Brazil and taught Carlos Gracie. What few people know is that he had already been traveling the world fighting challenge matches for years, in England and the US. Teddy Roosevelt was a big fan of martial arts, and learned to box, wrestle, and attained a brown belt in judo under Maeda himself. He had friends in all three circles. Here's a description of a wrestling vs. judo match that he hosted in 1905 at the White House, straight from the President's diary: http://www.bartleby.com/53/59.html

Here's a Gracie family tree, so you can see how unrelated some of the family members really are: http://www.550media.com/igjjf/familytree.html

Along those lines, here is a tree of the BJJ lineage of many legends of the art, and many of the current stars: http://www.bjjtree.com/

And here's a similar one for wrestling, showing the roots in catch, and the direct lineage into modern collegiate wrestling: www.wrestlingtree.com

This is Jake Rossen's article about the first UFC (which was even better than the Pride one) are actually one of the two best MMA pieces out there hands down. http://www.realfightermag.com/article.php?ArticleID=5096

I have links to a bunch more MA stuff, including a few vale tudo ones that are good.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    If I can find I have one somewhere about our 10 most bada$$ presidents. I think most people would like it. We have some legit tough guys running this country. I'll search around for it.
    Boom
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Shame on me for forgetting this.  I have well over 5K on this one.

Catrike Road.
    Looks like you could fit a mini into one of the saddle bags. I smell a road trip (and a new Mini) :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

Looks like you could fit a mini into one of the saddle bags. I smell a road trip (and a new Mini) :)

We've actually talked about putting a Small on this  http://www.bobgear.com/sites/default/files/z_yak_0.jpg

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

We've actually talked about putting a Small on this  http://www.bobgear.com/sites/default/files/z_yak_0.jpg
    That is awesome.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Best things I've ever made.

@smak woodworking is such a fun hobby. It is very addicting. I wish I had more time for it.

Couldn't agree more I have four of them. 9,7,5,and 3. Two boys two girls.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Boating -- Fresh water, salt water, power, sail ... long as it will float my large rear end - I am on the water...

Used to be golf - thats kinda fell by the wayside last year or two.   Between work and boating -- not much time for it.

Love to cook, whether its on the Egg, the gasser, or in the Kitchen.

Cookin in Texas
  • Newportlocal
    Options

Boating -- Fresh water, salt water, power, sail ... long as it will float my large rear end - I am on the water...

Used to be golf - thats kinda fell by the wayside last year or two.   Between work and boating -- not much time for it.

Yep. Water therapy. Once I am on the water all my problems disappear. Wish I was out on the San Diego sportboats working, but wouldn't be good for my kids to be gone that much. Grew up racing sailboats, driving Boston whalers, working on sportfishing boats. Good times.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

Love being on water. Only been saltwater couple times but I wn a bass boat and spend a lot of timely river and lakes. Leaving thisnthursday for 4 days to go fishing at Clark's hill lake in GA

Yep. Water therapy. Once I am on the water all my problems disappear. Wish I was out on the San Diego sportboats working, but wouldn't be good for my kids to be gone that much. Grew up racing sailboats, driving Boston whalers, working on sportfishing boats. Good times.

Boom
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    @ hillbilly

This is a article ...http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Pride-and-Glory-25240 ...

<SNIP>
    Fan - thanks for the links.  Will definitely try to get to read them, but as I stated earlier, w/ school & work & everything, my time is really limited, and this is really the only forum I frequent now (and even then I've had to MAKE time to post pics of cooks lately). 

But, I'll bookmark them & put them in my MA folder in my browser & try to get to them when I can...

thanks!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Newportlocal
    Options

Love being on water. Only been saltwater couple times but I wn a bass boat and spend a lot of timely river and lakes. Leaving thisnthursday for 4 days to go fishing at Clark's hill lake in GA

Good times. Good luck, but good times whether you catch fish or not. Fish are just the bonus.
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys and @Hillbilly-Hightech  for your martial arts view pleasure:  Enter the Dojo Show

Quality entertainment there :)
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Options
    hapster, really enjoyed the tour of your website...beautiful photos. Especially liked the blog where you have a paragraph about each picture.
    Nice work!
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Grill and Garden.  That about does it for me. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Hard to be an obsession since it doesn't snow around here to often but I love to snow ski. Also enjoy hunting, fishing, shooting, golf, and tennis
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Options
    Certified scuba also, but don't go much anymore
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Certified scuba also, but don't go much anymore
    I used to do Scuba.  Advanced NAUI, Cave certified, Nitrox.

But, it would take the Titanic's anchor to get me to neutral buoyancy now.  
    :(

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gato
    Options
    I never went in caves. Only tunnels where I could see the other end.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I got certified in Northern Florida.  When I told my wife I was down 200 ft and 1/2 mile in on a planned deco dive and going through a passage that was about 3 feet in diameter, she started hyperventilating. You can't be claustrophobic in cave diving.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gato
    Options
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I got certified in Northern Florida.  When I told my wife I was down 200 ft and 1/2 mile in on a planned deco dive and going through a passage that was about 3 feet in diameter, she started hyperventilating. You can't be claustrophobic in cave diving.
    Haven't dived in years.  My deepest was Zuber Sinkhole, and went to 180 feet.  Got nitrogen narcosis; cool.  Did 110 feet at Eagle's Nest, and went down the big crack.  My brother and I talked in the bath tub, which was 90? feet.

I did Blue Springs, but only down to about 80 feet.  Did 80 feed at West Palm, and looked at the nothing on the bottom, but it was really exciting to surface to no support boat.  The guy had gone in for cigarettes!

Most dives were at 30 feet in the Keys, and that was wonderful.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Only tunnels where I could see the other end.
    What the heck is the tunnel in south FL near the nuclear power plant.  I almost tried free diving that, but sanity too over.  It was a nice dive though.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Mine is big game hunting.  It's way worse than a crack addiction!! :D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I have been muzzle loading hunting for four years, and have yet to get a shot :-(,  During the general gun hunt I have either a Savage .30-06 or a Marlin .45-70 to choose.  What were you using for those big guys?

• DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    Great thread! At various and sundry times martial arts (modern arnis under Prof. Remy Presas, TKD (agree more a sport than street),last comp fight was at age 50, 11 yrs ago (just ask my orthopedist), salt water fishing (fished the SKA circuit for a few yrs.), handgunning,cooking esp w the Egg, used to run a Porsche on the track occsionally, practice my Scots Gaelic when I can find someone who speaks it, love Celtic music, brewed beer for 20yrs but now enjoy wine esp. heavier reds, was a serious powerlifter until age 35 or so,played rugby (good way to donate blood),etc etc..Wish I was musically talented but I can't carry a tune in a bag!
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Bowhunr is the man! That's awesome. Supremely jealous.
    Boom
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    Spent two summers diving and doing shark research in the Florida keys. Only thing I didn't like cave diving was in narrow spots scraping the tank pushing out backwards. Loved the keys and Andros in the Bahamas. Loved spearfishing with Hawaiian sling, I had one that would lock with a push button and you could change spear tips. You could break it down in segments. Wish I could find another one like that,
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    My corvette is my number one distraction and cash sinkhole.  I've gotten better about turning off the mod money faucet.  I use to go drag racing with my Camaro and having timeslips just fed the need to go faster the next time out and modify something else. 

I'm coming to the end of the kid raising years and am officially out of soccer, having coached for a number of years.  I like to travel and the veggie garden gives a sense of accomplishment.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I have been muzzle loading hunting for four years, and have yet to get a shot :-(,  During the general gun hunt I have either a Savage .30-06 or a Marlin .45-70 to choose.  What were you using for those big guys?
    I took the bear with a .325 WSM.  Most of my African stuff was shot with a .375 H&H or a 7x57 Mauser.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE