Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$27. Mini Carrier

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Beli thanks for the idea:

imageimage

Stand will not fit

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Perfect for tailgating.
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Speaking of tailgating, I've been interested in buying a mini to accompany my large. I'd use it to cook very small amounts at home, tailgating, camping, and day trips. 

Question to Mini owners: How well does it work with regular (350-400 degrees) direct grilling? Any problems controlling the heat? Will a mini last 3-4 hours at that temp range or would I need to bring extra charcoal?

Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Jameson I have two Minis and a Large. I use my Large less than 25% of the time. Everything you ask it works fine for.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    jamson19 asked:  
    Question to Mini owners: How well does it work with regular (350-400 degrees) direct grilling? Any problems controlling the heat? Will a mini last 3-4 hours at that temp range or would I need to bring extra charcoal?
    The mini works very well, it is just a little work horse.  I have done low and slow (4+hours) pork belly without reloading and done rapid sears with lump left over for the next cook. I also bake on the mini with no temp problem...it hold whatever temp I want.  The only time I have ever had to add more lump to the mini  was after a pizza cook and a last minute decission to make dessert need the addition of more lump. 
    There were several people cooking on minis at the Athens fest this weekend.  One of the items our cooking tent-mates served was grits with shrimp.  The grits were scratched-made using the mini and a4 qt CI dutch oven.  They served 90 people. (90 1 oz serving cups).  I wish I had had the time to take a picture, but we were cooking and serving nonstop all day. Hopefully the fest photographer got a shot.
    I think the nicest thing about the mini is it is quick to heat up and quick to cool downs.  Its biggest plus.....it is easy to transport using either Mickey's method or this method:

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Nice idea with the cooler, I bet you could find a way to attach the nest to the cooler handle. Or maybe a paver would fit in the bottom, and leave the nest when traveling
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    jamson19 asked:  
    The mini works very well, it is just a little work horse.  I have done low and slow (4+hours) pork belly without reloading and done rapid sears with lump left over for the next cook. I also bake on the mini with no temp problem...it hold whatever temp I want.  The only time I have ever had to add more lump to the mini  was after a pizza cook and a last minute decission to make dessert need the addition of more lump. 
    There were several people cooking on minis at the Athens fest this weekend.  One of the items our cooking tent-mates served was grits with shrimp.  The grits were scratched-made using the mini and a4 qt CI dutch oven.  They served 90 people. (90 1 oz serving cups).  I wish I had had the time to take a picture, but we were cooking and serving nonstop all day. Hopefully the fest photographer got a shot.
    I think the nicest thing about the mini is it is quick to heat up and quick to cool downs.  Its biggest plus.....it is easy to transport using either Mickey's method or this method:

Those egg Carten carriers aren't exactly being mass produced. Is it possible to get one? Love my mini egg. I use it daily. Earlier this week used it 3 times in less than 24hrs.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Newportlocal, Scot Lewis produces the CARTen per request. I am typing from my iPad. I will look up his email address and post it tomorrow.
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm happy a mini will be in my future!
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Newportlocal, Scot Lewis produces the CARTen per request. I am typing from my iPad. I will look up his email address and post it tomorrow.
    Here is Scott Lewis email address: slewis87@msn.com.  He is super to work with and will do just about anything, within reason, customizing you want.
  • Newportlocal
    Here is Scott Lewis email address: slewis87@msn.com.  He is super to work with and will do just about anything, within reason, customizing you want.

• Newportlocal
    Don't know why there was a glitch on last post. Anyway. Thank you very much for the email. I will definitely follow up. Nothing but the best for my favorite Martian : )