Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

king crab legs

Kitzmiyer
Kitzmiyer Posts: 2
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever cooked or smoked king crab legs on their egg, I'm thinking of doing this tomorrow. Any tips or anything would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    We split them lengthwise and put them on a hot grill to give them some nice color and grill marks. Couple minutes max.
    Then turn them shell down and drizzle or brush (while on the grill) with clarified butter and a tiny amount of smoke if you want it

Caveman microwave
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    (cant edit onna phone)
    After splitting lengthwise, meat-side down first for the grill marks
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    I really wouldn't do it.  King crab legs are 1) already cooked and 2) in a shell (smoking won't do anything).

King crab legs are delicious as-is (steamed) with just a little butter and garlic.  Don't mess with a good thing.

i dont think i need to improve on this with the egg
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    For me, anything other than steaming risks drying them out. The caveat being that perhaps you are in a position to secure them fresh, not cooked and frozen - although that would be extremely rare. You live in Alaska?

We prefer the vast majority of our seafood to taste like, well, seafood.

Let us know how things turn out - good or bad.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • stike
    overcooking is what dries them...

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Steamed with butter and garlic is the best way to go.  Some things are not better on the Egg.
  • bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    You have to bring them up to temp somehow and what better way than on the egg.

I do them the same way as stike and they turn out much better than steaming. Just make sure to not overcook them.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I don't see a reason NOT to do them on the Egg, especially if you are doing surf and turf and just pulled off your steaks to rest.  It's just another heat source.   I just splash them with lemon juice, season with DP Raging River, and put them on the grill wrapped loosely with foil.  We've done this several times with snow and King crab legs and had great results.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Wrap in foil and add a splash of lemon juice and another splash of white wine. Put on the egg as the steaks are resting. Just about 6 minutes (depending on the size of the legs).

Take off and enjoy!!!!