Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please share your Wok tips/secrets

gtk10583
gtk10583 Posts: 77
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just got my new wok and got it seasoned, ready for the first cook tonight.  Could all you wokers please share your advice/tips/tricks?  What temp do you fire the egg up to?  Do you place the wok low next to the coals or higher up?  How long do you preheat the wok?  Do you wok with the dome closed to steam the veggies, or stir fry with the dome open?

Thanks!

Comments

• Tip - Don't rely on Welders gloves as heat protection when removing the hot Wok from your egg! I foolishly did that and burned the %*$& out of one of my fingers.

I use a spider in the 'up' position with my 16" wok and my Large Egg. I get the grill to 600-700 degrees and then place the wok in the spider. It heats very quickly...less than a minute.

My large would not close with the wok in it...so could not attempt a steam based cook ( not sure this would work anyways...but not a wok expert.).

Tom
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited May 2012

Oysters for deep fry

imageimage

Shrimp to wok

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    The best tip is to have all of your ingredients in different bowls next to egg in order of how they go in the wok. The cook is so fast, you dont have time to fumble around. Also, need some thick gloves when pulling off the wok to plate. This is the hardest part for me still after several cooks. Plating the food without burning the s%&t out of my hands. Start easy and be patient. So much fun once you get it down.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    in my heavy wokking days, I'd use the paper hot dog or nacho trays to hold my ingredients.  At most any restaurant supply store, you can get enough boats to keep you wokking a long time for about $10.  Nothing to clean, just toss....

Ya need to be prepared, start to finish, as a wok cook moves fast..........

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    My large would not close with the wok in it...so could not attempt a steam based cook ( not sure this would work anyways...but not a wok expert.).

Tom
    For steaming, you just need a lid for the wok; works like a charm!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2012
    This is how I do it.

1.) Chop everything up and put in separate bowls (veggies, meat, sauce).
    2.) Put wok on heat and let sit 30-60 seconds.
    3.) Add tablespoon or so of oil (I like peanut or grapeseed for higher burn properties).
    4.) Add first food.
    5.) Dump food from wok into temporary pot.

6.) Repeat steps 3 through 6 until all food is cooked, one by one.

7.) Dump everything back into wok and add sauce.
    8.) Done.

These are the best gloves I've found. I can grab the wok off the egg and carry it into the house with these without issue:
    http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/welders-gloves/

Packerland, Wisconsin

• sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258

Don't pour your oil into a cold wok or your food will stick.

Cut you veggies on the diagonal so there is more surface area.

Buy a wok ring and keep it right next to your egg.  It will keep your hot wok from burning the surface below after removing the wok  from the egg.

• tjv
    This is how I do it.

1.) Chop everything up and put in separate bowls (veggies, meat, sauce).
    2.) Put wok on heat and let sit 30-60 seconds.
    3.) Add tablespoon or so of oil (I like peanut or grapeseed for higher burn properties).
    4.) Add first food.
    5.) Dump food from wok into temporary pot.

6.) Repeat steps 3 through 6 until all food is cooked, one by one.

7.) Dump everything back into wok and add sauce.
    8.) Done.

These are the best gloves I've found. I can grab the wok off the egg and carry it into the house with these without issue:
    http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/welders-gloves/

can't tell ya how many pairs I tested before finding these.......
    thanks for the positive feedback.....

t
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    is that really the pair to have ?  been looking
  • Alligator
    Alligator Posts: 35

Don't pour your oil into a cold wok or your food will stick.

Cut you veggies on the diagonal so there is more surface area.

Buy a wok ring and keep it right next to your egg.  It will keep your hot wok from burning the surface below after removing the wok  from the egg.

as Yan can cook would say

HOT wok with COLD oil = no stick
    make sure to get the wok real hot first before you put in the oil.  
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I have found it best to wok in smaller batches, and allow the wok to re-heat (for minute or two) when empty between each batch.

on a side note: I did some indian curry chicken tenders handle on my wok spatula from the wok store in san francisco fell off yesterday, should I super glue it back on or send it back?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    edited May 2012
    ... handle on my wok spatula from the wok store in san francisco fell off yesterday, should I super glue it back on or send it back?
    Mine fell off as I took it out of the shipping box.  I just goosed it with a bit of silicone glue and its been solid ever since (although I much prefer my new bamboo spatula, $3 from the same place!)

EDIT:  I wouldn't recommend Super Glue, that stuff only works if there's a very tight fit between the two surfaces; or, you can dust the handle with baking soda first and the superglue may be okay (old R/C model airplane trick)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    i did the worse thing possible... i jammed the handle on and then filled a tall plastic cup up with water and let it soak overnight upside down in it.. that sumbitch aint goin nowhere...  so far anyways :) 
  • tjv
    never liked the spatulas with a wood handle end....could never get the wool to stay stuck.  plus why a flat spatula for a round shaped wok.....

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2012
    is that really the pair to have ?  been looking
    Yup.  I can't tell you what the upper limits are.  But for handling a hot wok, I can grab it by the handles off the egg and carry it into the house without feeling heat.  Probably 10-15 seconds or so. Haven't tried a hot plate setter or similar yet. They're big, comfortable and good quality.
    Packerland, Wisconsin