Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature - Cannot get Egg to searing temp

Snap
Snap Posts: 5
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hello,

Having a terrible time getting BGE to searing temp.  I left the Egg alone for an hour Sunday and max temp was 350. I have both top vent and bottom vent in the full open position.  I am filling Egg to top line of fire box with lump.  Anyone else see something like this?

Snap

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    lose the daisy.  it tops out around 400 for a long while with the daisy full open
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • When is the last time you cleaned it out? Also, you can't use the small bits and shake to build a hot fire. Use larger pieces and make sure they aren't packed together and see if that helps.

Don't dump from the bag for a while- place it in by hand and hand pick the biggest pieces. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Remove DW like stike sez also make double sure that the firebox slot is lined up with lower vent.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Remove DW like stike sez also make double sure that the firebox slot is lined up with lower vent.

Vent alignment was my first thought.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I must've had my vent/ firebox out of alignment for the longest time. The last time I took it all apart I tried to line it up better and I can get up to temp a lot faster. Not sure what I did differently though.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Snap

Thanks all.  My Egg was assembled at the retailer I purchased it from.  Probably right, vent and Firebox not aligned.

Snap

• wolfsburg18
    wolfsburg18 Posts: 78
    edited May 2012
    I clean mine out every few cooks and use a shop vac to ensure the firebox is wide clean and open.  I might also recommend looking into the high hug 9" fire grate as it helps to improve airflow as well but as others noted you need to use larger chunks, the small stuff just won't cut it and make sure to use a quality hardwood charcoal. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    As mentioned, fuel, air flow and a heat source to get the lump going.  Once the lump is burning then the air flow (as long as you have adequate fuel supply) controls your temperature. And if you have decent air flow you can get to lava like lump temperatures with small pieces.  It's just that the small pieces will convert to ash quite quickly resulting in more chances for air flow blockage. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if your daisy is still on the egg (not merely full open), you will cap out around 350 to 400 for a good long while.

one guy one the forum has his firebox turned 180 (vent hole facing back) and reports no issues with getting to temp.  he does it to minimize the hot spot at the back
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    if your daisy is still on the egg (not merely full open), you will cap out around 350 to 400 for a good long while.

one guy one the forum has his firebox turned 180 (vent hole facing back) and reports no issues with getting to temp.  he does it to minimize the hot spot at the back
    That 180 alignment must make ash cleaning a pain-I partially compensate for the hot spot by always placing a leg of the platesetter back there-no proof it it helps or not but figure it can't hurt.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Snap

Eggcellent tips one and all.  Thank you.

Snap

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2012
    I assume you have a large or smaller because almost nothing will stop an XL from reaching nuclear temps, besides a clogged charcoal grate.  99% of the time, the clogged grate is the problem if you're at a temp stall or falling.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Snap
    I have a Large.  And I love it.  By the way, the Ribeye's were delicious cooked for 30 min on 300.  lol
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121
    I assume you have a large or smaller because almost nothing will stop an XL from reaching nuclear temps, besides a clogged charcoal grate.  99% of the time, the clogged grate is the problem if you're at a temp stall or falling.

+1 for clogged grate being the culprit here.

Buy (or build your own by buying a metal rod from Home Depot and bending it yourself) 'wiggle tool' and open the holes before and 20-30 minutes after you start the fire.