Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Temp / Grill Temp & Lighting Question

Options
seadub
seadub Posts: 20
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I just received a BGE for a wedding gift and had a couple quick questions. 

1st question

When lighting the charcoal for a long smoke (12-14 hours) what are some tips I should follow?  How much to fill? Should I light only one side of the egg and let burn opposite way or just light in the middle?

2nd question

How fat off is the dome temp from the grill temp?  If I want to smoke at around 230 where do I need to be at for dome temp?

Thanks

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Long cook I fill to top of fire ring and light in the middle. If using smoke, mix chips throughout the lump.

I have found that the dome is around 20 degrees off. 250 dome is 230 grate--- approximately. The longer cooks it eventually evens out.

Good luck and take pictures.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Congrats...and we like to see pics of everyone's cooks on here. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Here's a great primer site that should help with the learning curve: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  And the above info is on the mark-remember you can never load too much lump-the dome temp dictates the size of the fire.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • seadub
    seadub Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks guys, setting up this weekend and will grab some pics.