Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked grate

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I must admit....I'm a bit lazy. I don't clean out the inside of my Egg often. I never empty it of old charcoal and start with new for an overnight cook like some. I just stir around what's in there and dump new on top, then scrape out what fell through the grate from the lower vent. I might get my ole trusty bent skewer and poke up through the bottom grate to make sure its not clogged with small bits, or I might not. That's just the way I am.

So....I'm not sure what got into me last night, but I pulled out all the old charcoal and set it aside for later. Went to pop out the bottom grate and guess what....it's cracked!! Wonder how long its been like that? Its not bad. I'm sure it will last quite awhile as the crack is pretty small, but now I don't know what to do. I see a few options.

1) Contact my friend who's store I bought it from and see if they will replace it. Problem - the store is way down in McAllen (near the border of Texas and Mexico) and I am in Dallas. Don't know if she would send me one, or if we would have to wait until the next time we both happen to go home, which for us is in Corpus.

2)Go to a local Egg dealer and see what, if anything, they could do. Problem - I have no idea where my reciept for this thing is.

3)Get a Hi-Que grate. Never really been interested in one cuz I don't have any problems lighting my egg or getting it up to temp. But now with all this warranty talk...not sure what to do.

I guess the first step is to call my friend (actually one of my wife's best friends) and see what she says. But what would you do?

And by the way....last night was shrimp done 2 ways (one was shrimp embrochette), andouille sausage, corn on the cob and french bread....all done on the Egg. Kinda like a shrimp boil without the boil. And guess what.....I forgot the card from my camera at home so I can't even post a picture!! Argh!! Guess you'll have to wait for the evidence.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    it takes about a year or two to go from cracked to unusable so you have some time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cast iron fire grate isn't covered by the warranty (after five years).  not sure if it used to be (always thought it was), but now there is an explicit blurb on the website capping it at five years.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Griffin
    Options
    about a year and 5 months....still covered then.

Rowlett, Texas

• Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76
    Options
    It should be covered for 5 years, They state that the CI fire grate and CI cooking grate are covered for 5 years.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Jason, If you're lazy like me, just don't bother replacing it.  Mine has been cracked for years ;) 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Griffin
    Options
    Yeah, I'm lazy and would still use the cracked one, but would like to get a replacement for free while I can as back up for the day it becomes unusable.

Rowlett, Texas

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    My local BG refused to cover mine at 3 years saying, "that's the ONE piece that isn't covered by warranty".  (They try to deny any claims which makes the warranty not worth much if your dealer is an impediment to exercising it.)  Just bought a new one on the internet to avoid the hassle factor an chalked it up as the warranty isn't really worth much.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I just replaced mine under warranty at my local shop and I did not buy my egg there ( I lived out of state when I bought it). I just sent them pics of it and they sent me a new one from BGE. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    cen-tex, i think you are confusing an excellent dealer with 'warranty' support.

if dealer behavior were the determinant, i could emphatically declare that there is no warranty on anything. hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I was told a one year warrantee by my dealer (this was last year)  - who replaced it at no charge after I sent him a picture.  Mine (XL) cracked completely in half (right down the middle in two pieces) in the first 11 months.  This is right before it broke into two pieces:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cen-tex, i think you are confusing an excellent dealer with 'warranty' support.

if dealer behavior were the determinant, i could emphatically declare that there is no warranty on anything. hahaha
    Good call Stike. They are really good. Although they did send the pics to BGE for approval before ordering my stuff. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX