Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe help

Options
bvanma28
bvanma28 Posts: 57
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a tenderized round steak and I'm not sure what to do with it. Any ideas?

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    By Round, do you mean the cut or the shape of the meat?
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    Options
    Direct grill it till 115/120 internal and rest for a few, Slice against the grain
    LET'S EAT
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    Very lean cut, not much flavor. You will need to enhance with a rub and smoke. Treat it like a prime rib and cook it low and slow, and don't let the interior temp get above 120. Cook temp should be below 300.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I respectfully disagree on cooking any steak low and slow. especially one that is very lean. The only benefit to low and slow is to allow for the breakdown of connective tissue or to get more smoke (may have been your thought here).

I would season it up the way you like and grill it direct at higher temps (500 or more) Prime rib is 3-6" thick and loaded with fat. Totally different cook. Not tying to stir up trouble here but I don't think low and slow is the way you want to go here.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • brianwdmn
    Options
    I don't disagree. It an extremely difficult cut of meat to make flavorful. My concern would be over cooking. More smoke would equate to more flavor. The time it would char at 500 I'm afraid it would overlook.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I don't disagree. It an extremely difficult cut of meat to make flavorful. My concern would be over cooking. More smoke would equate to more flavor. The time it would char at 500 I'm afraid it would overlook.
    I hear you. This is really more a braising type cut but it's not going to get any more tender or flavorful with low and slow. I would season the hell out of it with whatever you like for flavor and grill it hot and direct over wood chunks if you like a lot of smoke. The flavor on a cut like this is going to come from the char and added seasonings, not more time over a low fire. Low fat cuts + low and slow = tough and dry unless there is a method out there I haven't tried (and I'm not saying there isn't)

Assuming this has been mechanically tenderized, it could be good for fajitas or stir fry or sliced real thin for philly cheese steaks- stuff like that.  i think the main thing would be to slice it very thin and against the grain. This is not a traditional grill cut so I'm interested to hear how it turns out. 

• bvanma28
    bvanma28 Posts: 57
    Options
    It has been tenderized already and is fresh off of the cow so we will see
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It has been tenderized already and is fresh off of the cow so we will see
    Let her rip! let us know how it turns out.