Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Allergic Reaction to Wicked Good

CaligirlnMS
CaligirlnMS Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Has anyone experienced an allergic reaction to Wicked Good?  My husband got his egg a few weeks ago as a demo after a eggfest.  After he used up the charcoal that came with the egg he started using the Wicked Good.  I have asthma and it doesn't seem to bother me to bad at night but when I wake up the next day I have symptoms ranging from puffy eyes to a full blown asthma attack. 

I didn't seem to have the problem with the other stuff he had.  Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Comments

• Wow, very strange, never heard of anything like that......curious to hear other comments.  Off subject, where in MS are you?  We live outside of Oxford.  I wonder how many others are in MS
    LBGE Apprentice
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @smokinbulldawg
    A bulldog in Oxford?? Im in MS too. Bout 20 min from Starkville.

This seams odd. I would think it could easily be the charcoal since you have asthma, but with asthma you could blame it on a million other things beside the charcoal. Where you around while he cooked? I wouldn't think lump to lump would matter at all. Just the irritation from smoke an fumes should do it an if not then its prolly just a coincidence you had an attack the day he bought new lump. It's spring/summer new things are blooming and pollen, plenty of other factors besides new lump.

XLBGE 
  • I have had an allergic reaction to wood burning in a fireplace before - ended up with a Rash all over.  But it has only happened once.  I guess there is just something in this wood.

We live in Ocean Springs - between Pascagoula and Biloxi!

• CaligirlnMS
    edited May 2012

I have had the reaction every morning after the days he has cooked.  He cooked with it Friday night and Saturday I had a full blown attack.  He cooked on Saturday and Sunday and last night.  The only day I didn't wake up with at least puffy eyes was on Tuesday.  It is the only thing that is different. 

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    It might be the type of wood. 
    I know Wicked good is denser than RO, and as a result BGE lump.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • I am sure it is the wood as I have had a reaction to certain types of wood in campfires before.  I was just wondering if anyone else had the problem or if I am just a freak of nature!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Goodness I hate that for you.

But it's an easy fix!

XLBGE 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Caligril, I have also had an asthma reaction from lump.  I can't remember which brand it was.  I have never had a problem with red bag RO though.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • hahaha, YES, I am a Bulldawg in Oxford.....We actually really like the town, nice place to raise a family.....

I went to State with several friends from the coast, Ocean Springs, Pascagola, and another small town I can't remember....

LBGE Apprentice
  • CaligirlnMS
    edited May 2012

Yay!  Someone else - I am not a total freak of nature!

We moved from the SF Bay Area to OS in May of 2005 - great timing.  We love living here even after going through Katrina.  It is a great place to raise our son.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I'm California born and raised, but youngest son graduated from Ole Miss in 2004. My great uncle taught there in the late 60's. Wife is from Kosciusko, we have a lot of relatives that went to either Ole Miss or State, makes for interesting jokes at family gatherings.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Rezegger
    Rezegger Posts: 29
    I'm near the reservoir area in Mississippi.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

Sorry to hear about your reaction.

I used to live in Grenada, MS when I was little, but now live in Norcal.

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Do you have a mold allergy? If so, it's possible the bags of Wicked Good got damp and moldy, and the spores are becoming airborne, as part of the cook. Have you tried taking a shower, before going to bed?

I have severe food allergies, and know that this time of year, I have to be especially careful with what I eat. My histamine level is already amped up with the pollen, so foods that would normally not set me off, can put me over the edge, and send me into anaphylactic shock. I would imagine, the same sort of thing can happen with asthma.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    They do use different woods than most so I wouldn't be too surprised if you are allergic to just their charcoal....it could be one of the woods they use that doesn't agree with you.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    If I'm not mistaken, wicked good uses South American hardwoods...Not sure how that translates to allergens vs ones using American (or other) hardwoods.