Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First no gasket cook

paulheels
paulheels Posts: 457
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Annihilated my nonexistent gasket and glue on the last clean out. Cooking 40lbs o butts tonight. Here's Soowee without her gasket on

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.

Comments

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I don't use a gasket and my cooks still turn out great. I don't have a problem putting the fire out or anything. I think some people worry to much about the gasket. 

You will be fine.
  • paulheels
    @adamd. I'm not worried. There ate quite a few people on here that don't use them. Just gotta be mindful o closing lif
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    @paulheels what ever came about ole soowee's oil leak?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • paulheels
    @gato. Nothing yet. Completely cleaned it out. There was some charred grease remains in the bottom. No visible cracks in the base from the inside or outside.
    My guess is, the large Amy of fat was unable to burn off as usual. It seeped into the ceramic and began its journey to my patio.
    Still gonna call BGE headquarters and talk.

Paul
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    @paulheels

What brand of lump are you using in the 1st pic?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Replaced my gasket about a month ago.  Did a pizza tonight, plus 700 degrees and the gasket stuck together when I opened the lid.  Pulled loose from the top and bottom.

Going to go without one for a couple of weeks and see how it does.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Replaced my gasket about a month ago.  Did a pizza tonight, plus 700 degrees and the gasket stuck together when I opened the lid.  Pulled loose from the top and bottom.

Going to go without one for a couple of weeks and see how it does.
    What was your replacement gasket and adhesive that had the described fail-wanna steer clear of that combo.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    I got my replacement from BGE Nomex,Used 3M supper 77 and have 3 cooks up to 600 degrees and no prob yet
    LET'S EAT
  • paulheels
    @eggbertsdad// it's Western Brand from Publix.

@lousybcap// I had the nomes gasket adhered with Super 77 as well. When I cleaned the egg. Therm bottomed out at 200. So I was pretty damn hot