Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone

Options
mpoundston
mpoundston Posts: 1
edited December 2011 in Forum Feedback
any recommendations for a good pizza stone? William Sanoma has one for $38.

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Stick with the BGE stone... others are too thin and will crack at high temps
    Kent Madison MS
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    Options
    Check with CGS (Ceramic Grill Store) for great stones. ceramicgrillstore.com
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Stone is stone.  I bought 4 fire bricks 2 x 4 x 9 for less than $7.00 at a brick supply.  I put them between the fire and my plate setter with the stone on top.  Those $40 stones are way over priced because they can get whatever they want for them.  See the pix, this works great for pizza and bread or a spactchcocked chicken.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    Lodge makes a cast iron pizza pan that u have been loving ever since my pizza stone shattered during normal (high temp) use.

If you are going to use a stone only buy BGE our else you'll buy twice.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    What is the benefit of the bricks under the platesetter? That is a lot of mass to heat up.

I understand using that instead of the platesetter but not in addition to.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    Lodge makes a cast iron pizza pan that u have been loving ever since my pizza stone shattered during normal (high temp) use.

If you are going to use a stone only buy BGE our else you'll buy twice.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Options
    I bought mine from a restaraunt supply store for about $15. Definitely not as thick as the BGE one but never have had a problem and we cook pizza a lot.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I have this one: 

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E19MW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000E1FDA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SHXKQVKEJNPZ61SZBYG">16"_PIZZA_STONE</a>

and have been completely satisfied w/ it!!  I like it because it's 16" in diameter, which perfectly fits my 16" Costco pizzas!!  :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I have this one: 

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E19MW/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000E1FDA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SHXKQVKEJNPZ61SZBYG">16"_PIZZA_STONE</a>

and have been completely satisfied w/ it!!  I like it because it's 16" in diameter, which perfectly fits my 16" Costco pizzas!!  :D
    I have the same one, and it is thick, heavy, and gives nice surface area. So far it only has a handful of cooks, but it did go over  800 f.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    What is the benefit of the bricks under the platesetter? That is a lot of mass to heat up.

Yeah seems like this would take an eternity to heat up. BGE pizza stone on grate over platesetter works for me.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options

Yeah seems like this would take an eternity to heat up. BGE pizza stone on grate over platesetter works for me.
    This is my setup as well.  Platesetter, legs up, then stone on grate.  We have pizza every Friday night and I get the BGE to around 700.
  • RichardBronosky
    RichardBronosky Posts: 213
    edited April 2012
    Options

This is my setup as well.  Platesetter, legs up, then stone on grate.  We have pizza every Friday night and I get the BGE to around 700.
    This is my setup also, but I put 3 regular old 3 hole red clay bricks ($0.58 each at Home Depot) under my "stone" to get the cheese higher into the dome where it can melt/brown.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Good idea Richard. I may give that a try.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Nebraskaegger
    Options
    I have the 17.5 inch stone from ceramicgrillstore.com which I use on my XL.  @ $42.99 the price isn't horrible.  I have heard of people using stones from discount stores or pampered chef and the stones explode because the cannot take the high temps.  The stone from ceramicgrillstore.com can also be paired with their XL spider to be used in place of the platesetter for in direct cooks.  My normal set up for pizzas is platesetter feet down and then my XL spider feet down with the stone on top of the spider.  That gives me a little gap between the stone and the platesetter as I found that when I put the stone directly on the platesetter I was getting too much heat to the bottom of my pizza and it would burn before the top was done.