Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your occupation?

Options

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Not one pro chef among us eh? Or maybe I missed it.
     IMO

everyone here with an Egg is one in his or her own right.

I'm a machinist by trade but have been working as a bio pharmaceutical maintenance tech.
    Not really.  Some really good cooks, but not chefs.

To really be a chef, you need to have graduated from a recognized culinary academy.  There are far more considerations in being a chef than just making a good, tasty meal.

It's much like being called an "engineer".  They call garbage collectors "Refuse Engineers" and parking lot attendees "Transportation Placement Engineers", but they are not the real thing like Mechanical Engineers or Electrical Engineers.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    True dat Gary. It's a college level diploma, not a university level thing. Good to have go to on the forum though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    @ Village Idiot. I was emphasizing on the phrase because of all the creativity I see on some of the awesome food posts I see here. It was an attempt to compliment them. Should I change my my user id to Forum Idiot? lol

• Flamethrower
    Options
    Still the only Hose Jockey
    LET'S EAT
  • Little Steven
    Options
    My Dad was one if that counts

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Former jobs, fisherman, tour guide,computer consultant, adjunct professor, beer taster.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Attended Culinary school, but wasn't interested in degree. Already had three.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well....as a guy who has hired and fired many pirates.....er I mean chefs, I disagree a little. An executive chef is a degreed/professional position but the best chef I've ever known was a self taught artisan that couldn't show up for work. He built all our menus and cooked circles around the execs but was (is) a mess. The execs keep costs in line, crack skulls on the underlings but I've found the artisans to be the best chefs.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options

It's more an art than a trade. If I can ever get to retire I'm going to culinary school

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• flachick
    flachick Posts: 40
    Options
    @Travisstrick...sorry it took so long to get back to you.   Today was crazy.  I would love to have your cousin's contact information. We'll be heading over there in a week. Thanks!  If it's easier, my email is joebensara@aol.com

• fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Import fruit juice and freeze dried fruit
  • chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    Options
    Sorry about the plug for my son,....just trying everything in this day and age.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I pick up aluminum can in the ditches.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    Options
    huh, and you have a bge??  I think not
  • wpatrus
    wpatrus Posts: 5
    Options
    Like fruitguy- I am also in the fruit (and vegi) business but In the fresh fruit side of it. I am in sales for a wholesale produce company in the southeast. Handle everything from other wholealers, retailers, processors and corporate accounts.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Chemist. I test water for the City to make sure that we get all the urine and other stuff out before it floats down the Trinity River to Houston. Yeah, that's right Houston....don't make me mad or I'll leave the pee in water. :D
    Hey Grif, can you send my in-laws a message? LOL
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    Of late it has been reading this post!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• RichardBronosky
    Options
    Attended Culinary school, but wasn't interested in degree. Already had three.
    I have an Uncle who hasn't missed a semester of College since returning from the Vietnam war. I wonder if there is a Guinness Record in there somewhere. He'd never apply for it though.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    Sales Consultant, new home builder.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options

It's more an art than a trade. If I can ever get to retire I'm going to culinary school

Only 16 more years and I can retire.  I'm finishing up training for my retirement gig, SCUBA instructor.  Next stop will be culinary school.  Retirement plan - Move to Cozumel, run a dive operation and bbq joint.  I think the cruise ship folks will be ready for some pulled pork off of the egg.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Software business.  

Gave up ( or outgrew ) my life long dream of being the guy with the "spritzer" bottles that walked around the resort pool in southern california asking women who were laying out by the pool if they wanted a "spray" to cool off.

Cookin in Texas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Chemist. I test water for the City to make sure that we get all the urine and other stuff out before it floats down the Trinity River to Houston. Yeah, that's right Houston....don't make me mad or I'll leave the pee in water. :D
    Hey Grif, can you send my in-laws a message? LOL

On its way now.

I used to be a teacher. 5 years - 3 in high school and 2 in middle school. Just couldn't take the politics or the "It couldn't be my kid, must be your fault" mentality. That and too much special ed paper work. More respect to those who can put up with it and do it day to day. We need more good teachers.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• balliardi
    balliardi Posts: 72
    Options
    Inflatable dart board salesman
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Dentist, 27 years down only about 15 more to go.

George
    George
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Inflatable dart board salesman

How much are they with the optional 3 year warranty?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• bariccardi
    Options
    AVP for an investment management firm
  • Ajm450man
    Ajm450man Posts: 38
    Options
    Im a Pipe welder. get to travel all around the great U.S.A. doing shut down after shut down.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • The_Grill_Sergeant
    Options
    Law Enforcement Officer
    Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Options
    Wild land firefighter/dozer
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.