Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about a swing grate.

2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    hmm... Very interesting.  So CGW's solution to the plate-setter is a secondary length of bar stock... they claim the standard stock is 7.5" long, while their shortest is 5.5"... I suppose that takes our main-top grate difference down to 3-4" huh?

Interesting....

I have never pushed the upper limit of the 7.5" bar stock but your numbers sound right for the shorter length stock-I would be skeptical of this but hopefully they will post videos with the shorter stock.  Personally I have never had an issue with tipping-and think the vertical work room is of much more value.  Big hunk of meat on the lower grate and it's not gonna tip...

I would give the CGS a hard look given this change by CGW.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    "I would give the CGS a hard look given this change by CGW."

I don't know. I think CGW has done a nice job of clarifying the issue. I'd rather have the bar hit my plate setter than have my butt fall to the ground. I get the versatility of the adjustable rig, but I don't have the space to store more parts. I also don't think I'd utilize the AR to its full potential.

If my plate setter ever breaks, I'll be getting a spyder and stone to replace it. Then there won't be a problem with the swing grate.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited April 2012

I have the swing grate and love it.  I have mine set where I leave the main cooking surface and the elevated cooking surface set so that if the plate setter is in I can use both surfaces - I basically never change the height setting on the top surface.  I have 5 inches of clearance on the main surface and more that enough to do a verticle chicken on the top surface (it was close, but it fit).  You could easilly do butts on the main level and a brisket on the top.  Here is a pic of my setup...haven't found a limitation for my cooking yet.  This is with the plate setter in.

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

I have the swing rack. It's works great for my cooking style. I love it for accessing the meat below with veggies and whatever up top. Another option is the Double D rack that the Grill Dome uses for indirect, over the plate setter. Put that in the down position and I use a steel pie plate on that rack. Plus with this rack you can use it for searing. From what I saw the spider doesn't have any food support grids it's just a big opening.

I would love to own both but I was only able get one so I went with swing grate. Maybe in the future I'll own a adjustable rig. Can never have enough bbq tools. 

• Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271

This looks great

Where do I order a swing grate?

I need more toys---

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Try ceramicgrillworks.com-and give them a call as well.  Easy to work with.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.