Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egged Meatloaf!!

Options
NightwingXP
NightwingXP Posts: 448
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Getting the Egg up to temp and letting it stabilize for a bit then getting ready to throw on some MEATLOAF!!!! Have been anxious to try this and will post pics later when I am able. Using 2 1/2 lbs ground chuck seasoned with carrot, onion, bbq sauce, cracker crumb, minced garlic, s&p and a few other throw ins.
:D

Using cherry chips for smoke and gonna have potatoes for a side. Can't wait!
Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Man that sounds good. Meatloaf is outstanding on the egg. The only thing better is the next day having the sandwhiches.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NightwingXP
    Options
    Just mounted her!! Er......put the meatloaf on the Egg. LOL. God it smells good!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I just did one last Saturday night.  You're gonna love it!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    Well can I just say, THAT was amazing!! Best damn meatloaf I have ever had!! We will most definitely be doing that again! Leftovers tomorrow are going to rock! Gonna leave the carrot out next time but still phenomenal meatloaf! That Egg rocks!!
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    That looks great.  At what temperature is it done?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    That does look good.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• friscoag
    friscoag Posts: 97
    Options
    I think I'm going to try this tonight...Any tips or suggestions? This will be my first meatloaf on the egg.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Dayum, I need to make a meatloaf soon.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks good! Meatloaf on the Egg is so good & this reminds me that I haven't cooked one in a while.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    That looks great.  At what temperature is it done?
    I cooked it at 375-400 dome until it was 155 internal. Great meatloaf!! Can't wait for sandwiches today!!
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    when I make a meatloaf I sauté up the carrots onions and celery, softens them all up nicely. I need to do one of these!
  • NightwingXP
    Options
    I think I'm going to try this tonight...Any tips or suggestions? This will be my first meatloaf on the egg.
    This was real simple. I did mine indirect with a drip pan. 375-400 dome till 155 internal. Made my normal meatloaf, then put it in the fridge for about an hour to make sure it held form well. Got Egg up to temp then tossed in some cherry for smoke and put in the loaf. About 30 minutes before it was done I basted with BBQ sauce and let finish cooking. Pulled when it hit 155. Could have prob waited till 160-165 but I was hungry!! Took hour and a half total. Great eats!!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Nightwing, so the normal grate didn't give you any problems?  I've always used my CI grate, flat-side up, for a little extra support.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• NightwingXP
    Options
    Nightwing, so the normal grate didn't give you any problems?  I've always used my CI grate, flat-side up, for a little extra support.  
    Nope none whatsoever. It barely had a little curvy indentation in the
    bottom of the loaf but otherwise it just looked like a burger on bottom.
    It was kind of nice. You know how some people fight for the ends of the
    meatloaf, of the crust around edges of a baked lasagna? That's kind of
    what this was like and it covered the whole bottom of the loaf. Great
    stuff. I think putting it in the fridge for about an hour helped too.
    Made the ML firm up some.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Very nice! Looks great. 
  • scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    Options
    It looks so good i am going to cook one this weekend. =D>