Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice from BBQ Guru users

Duganboy
Duganboy Posts: 1,118
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking on my egg for over 15 years, so I have a lot of experience using it.  Like most of you, a lot of trial and error was involved.

I want to buy one of the BBQ Guru products.  The DigiQ model has all the bells and whistles (meat probe, ramping down temp, etc).  The PartyQ costs about a third of the DigiQ and it just controls the pit temp.

I'm sure both are used by our members and I'd like to hear from you about it.  I don't want to buy one model, then wish I had bought the other one.

TIA

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/857.htm

Freds is doing a Guru demo soon. Don't know if you are anywhere near Reading, Pa.
  • Duganboy
    Thanks Brownie, but I'm in the Bluegrass State--Kentucky.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Do you do a lot of long cooks where you want to monitor the meat temp?  Do you want to have an external power source, or will batteries fill your needs?  You need to look at how you use it, what features you need and then make a choice.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Duganboy
    Do you do a lot of long cooks where you want to monitor the meat temp?  Do you want to have an external power source, or will batteries fill your needs?  You need to look at how you use it, what features you need and then make a choice.  Good luck!
    Agree Whiz.  I have a very good meat probe thermometer with a remote sensor that I can take in the house and get the meat temp and a notice when it hits temp.

If the PartyQ does the job of keeping temp controlled on a LBGE, then that may be all I need.
  • Duganboy
    come on Guru users!! I want to order this thing tomorrow!!!
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    As guru dealer, I can tell you for certain that you will not be disappointed with the digi q it is by far our best seller. In all fairness however, they are preparing to launch a new and improved wifi cyber q that can be viewed and controlled via a smart phone...this could prove to be either massive over kill for your needs or simply a must have gadget.

To recap, the digi is a wise move, but ultimately it's your call. Btw I have no details as to when or how much the new cyber q is or will be arriving, all I keep hearing is soon.

Good Luck
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Personally, I wouldn't want the PartyQ because it only runs on batteries.  Hoping the batteries won't run out overnight is just another thing I don't want to have to worry about.  I have the digiQ DX and really like it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I have the digiq dx2 and use it at least once per week (doing a prime rib roastright now at 225 for the last 4 hours).  It is very easy to use and keeps the temp within 2 degrees of what I set it for as long as you have charcoal to burn.  I will probably sell this one when the new wifi one comes out so I don't have to go out to the grill to see what the food temp is.  I'm very glad I purchased it and won't give it up until the new wifi version comes out.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Duganboy
    Thanks for all the comments.  Think I will go for the Digig dx2.  I already have a meat probe thermometer with a remote that I can read.

One final question:  How much do you leave the top drafts open.  Have to be open some so the smoke can escape.

Appreciate all the advice and would love to here more about the daisy wheel opening.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I have the DigiQ. Its features and ease of use make it perfect for me. I prefer a model I can plug in rather than a battery powered model. If price isn't the main factor the DigiQ is my recommendation.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • ChokeOnSmoke

One final question:  How much do you leave the top drafts open.  Have to be open some so the smoke can escape.

Yup, I crack it open just a little bit to allow smoke to flow out.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Duganboy
    Thanks Choke.  That is what I thought.  I'm buying tomorrow and smoking a brisket Friday night.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Thanks Choke.  That is what I thought.  I'm buying tomorrow and smoking a brisket Friday night.
    Sounds like fun.  Enjoy.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    i just got the ique 110. It doesn't have the ramp down feature or meat probe, but I find that useless on an egg because it won't ramp down fast enough anyways. The ique shipped was about $150, works great. 

• AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    i just got the ique 110. It doesn't have the ramp down feature or meat probe, but I find that useless on an egg because it won't ramp down fast enough anyways. The ique shipped was about $150, works great. 

I'm intrigued by the iQue 110.  Does anyone else have any experience with it?  I haven't heard of it before.
  • Duganboy
    Thanks for all the comments.  I went with the DigiQ.  Called my local BGE store and they said it would be three week delivery.  Went to bbqguru site and they shipped it today.  Same model, just doesn't say Big Green Egg.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    AZbge, i've ran it on about 6 really long low cooks, 16+ hrs. Definitely increases the efficiency of the egg, and almost turns it into a convection grill as the fan cycles on and off fairly frequently. I know the guru units have a damper that you leave open a certain amount and the fan cycles on when it needs to. It depends on what you're doing with it, if you feel like you need the bells and whistles or may be looking at controlling more than one, go with the stoker. If it's just one egg, the guru is nice, digital read out etc. But honestly the egg is so good at holding temps I don't see the need for the extra money for the guru stuff. The cheapest I've found a guru setup with the digi-q and 10cfm fan was about $300 if i remember correctly. A 2 pit stoker system with 2 fans and probes is right around 500. 
  • I have the digi q, Highly recommend it! 
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    AZbge, i've ran it on about 6 really long low cooks, 16+ hrs. Definitely increases the efficiency of the egg, and almost turns it into a convection grill as the fan cycles on and off fairly frequently. I know the guru units have a damper that you leave open a certain amount and the fan cycles on when it needs to. It depends on what you're doing with it, if you feel like you need the bells and whistles or may be looking at controlling more than one, go with the stoker. If it's just one egg, the guru is nice, digital read out etc. But honestly the egg is so good at holding temps I don't see the need for the extra money for the guru stuff. The cheapest I've found a guru setup with the digi-q and 10cfm fan was about $300 if i remember correctly. A 2 pit stoker system with 2 fans and probes is right around 500. 
    Thanks.  Wonder how it compares to the PartyQ.  Similar price.
  • Duganboy
    Thanks for all the comments.  Got my digi q today and going to do a brisket tomorrow night.  Amazing thing I have had a BGE for 15 years and just got on this forum on Sunday.

Lot of good stuff on here.
  • funhunter63
    funhunter63 Posts: 16
    I got a PartyQ recently.  I have never used any other temp controller.  I am really not impressed.  I think my PartyQ is hardly able to move enough air to get a large egg to desired the temp.  I have seen it register big temp fluctuations that could not have been real.  I am not sure if this is normal for PartyQs but most of the time I could set the vents and the egg would do a better job by itself.