Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Chicken

Options
OneManWolfpack
OneManWolfpack Posts: 1
edited April 2012 in Poultry
Good Morning - does anybody have a good whole chicken recipe?

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Yes, your favorite rub and spatchcock the chx.  Found this to be the best method.
  • supervisor404
    Options
    I tried Miron Mixon's Huney Muney Cluck Rub this weekend...on a whole chicken..and it didnt make it into the house it was so good....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
    Options

Like ID said rub (S&P is good). Spatchcock and raise grill. I cook direct at 400. I do not oil the bird and if I have time leave it overnight uncovered in fridge (most of the time I have forgot and tossed on grill). Skin side up and never turn over.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I've used this more than once. I marinate the bird overnight. I do a sittin chicken with marinade in cup. Season the outside with whatever you like. I do salt and lemon pepper. I do 270 dome temp indirect. It ends up being about 45 min per lb.
    pdt.jpg 163.5K
  • BeefWellington
    Options
    Used a brine from nibblemethis website, kosher salt, sugar, pepper, cumin, and a bay leaf. Submerged whole chicken for 24 hours.  Rinsed, brushed with olive oil and rubbed with texas bbq's grand champion rub, let sit in fridge for another 24 hours.  Brought up to room temp, grilled direct at 350 on a VCR for about 2 hours with pecan chips.  Best chicken I've ever had.
  • Derek9511
    Derek9511 Posts: 6
    Options
    Guys what does raised grill mean?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Guys what does raised grill mean?
    it means raising the cooking grid up typically 2" - 4" higher than the grid normally sits.  It allows for less intense direct heat while maintaining a higher air temp in the grill.  Some use aftermarket accessories to do this, others rig up things by using an extra grid or firebricks.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • MeatHunx
    MeatHunx Posts: 16
    Options
    OneManWolfPack!

Here is a recipe I live by - Beer Can Chicken
    http://www.meathunx.com/2012/02/beer-can-chicken.html

You can replace the stand with a beer can.