Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kind of a table question

Options
GaryBushey
GaryBushey Posts: 63
edited January 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I just finished a table to go with my Egg (it does not actually hold the Egg so I didn't post a picture here) and was wondering about keep the lump outside in NC.   The table should be waterproof (but just in case I plan on covering it with a tarp when not in use) but I was more concerned about humidity.    Does anyone else store their lump (and other chunks of  wood) outside?  If so, what do you keep them in?  Just keep them in the bag or some other container?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    My lump is outside 24/7. An unused egg will seem sluggish to heat up (especially if it has rained alot) more than any effect you might attribute to humidity and charcoal

Maybe not as humid here as NC, but summers here can get humid. Never noticed any ill effects
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    I only buy what I need so it is not sitting in the garage sucking up humidity.  I live in Southport, NC and it gets quite humid here most of the summer.  We go to Wally World a few times a week anyway so its not big deal.  They carry Royal Oak 8.8 lb bags for $6.47.  It is my only choice for now.  BTW Royal Oak makes BGE charcoal, so its all good.  My Egg gets parked in the garage.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I only buy what I need so it is not sitting in the garage sucking up humidity.  I live in Southport, NC and it gets quite humid here most of the summer.  We go to Wally World a few times a week anyway so its not big deal.  They carry Royal Oak 8.8 lb bags for $6.47.  It is my only choice for now.  BTW Royal Oak makes BGE charcoal, so its all good.  My Egg gets parked in the garage.
    That's a really cool table.  Do you have some more pics of it.  It looks like the egg is sitting on a large patio stone, I assume with some 2x4 bracing under it?
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I live in NC and leave a few bags of Royal Oak and Wicked Good outside all the time. They are in a container but it doesn't have a seal on it. No issues at all.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I only buy what I need so it is not sitting in the garage sucking up humidity. 
    Why is your lump sucking up humidity more in your garage than it would in a warehouse or the garden section of Walmart?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Got the granite from a neighbor for free and spent $90 for wood, stain and wheels.  It don't get much better than that.  Made my own ash chute and miniature dustpan for scooping out the ash if needed. Egg is sitting on BGE feet on top of an old chunk Southern Pine 2 x 12.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Is the granite just glued/caulked to the wood framework top?  If so, is that secure enough to push the table around by the granite?  Are the top and bottom side rails 2x8 and 2x6?
  • ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    Options

No problem with storing wood but lump should be in an airtight container to get highest temps.

I used a couplem of five gallon buckets with lids.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Options
    I live near Cape Carteret,NC, right on the Intracoastal Waterway and store my lump outside on my grilling deck in a basic Rubbermaid plastic tote with a lid that can be clamped due to wind. Have had no problems with moisture but go through it quickly enough to maybe obviate  that issue.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    I live in Greensboro.  No problem with a cheap Lowe's storage container outside for lump so far.

I'm also planning a beach trip now that I know all these fellow Eggers are so close by.  :)

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!