Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

kamado joe

Options
uncledave
uncledave Posts: 90
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a buddy who is thinking of getting a kamado joe ceramic grill instead of an egg. I am not familiar with the kamado grill. What are the pro's and cons. He has a 25 percent off coupon for nebraska furniture mart which has the kamados. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I don't know, but would bet quite a bit naked whiz reviewed them at some point.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    I would try to find reviews on customer service, and what is the warranty policy. There are some other very good cookers out there, but the warranty service from BGE is one if the best.
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Options
    I've never owned one but read a ton about them. Everything I've read says they are very solid. If I was to summarize, I would say they basically took existing ideas and improved on them rather than coming up with a lot of new ideas.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options

This is a forum specifically for BGE brand cookers.   For info on KJ you could head to some of the other bbq forums such as bbq brethren.com 

KJ isn't nearly as ubiquitous as BGE so you won't find many references specific to that brand.   I own a KJ and it's fine but I like to be a polite guest here so don't show pics of it and wouldn't have labeled the subject of this thread as you did.

• uncledave
    Options
    I am a bge enthusiast. I am looking for ammo so I can convince him to buy an egg.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    its mostly customer support thru dealers in the area, bge is everywhere.  what happens if his dealer shuts down, are there more options in the area. i just got a new base for my 7 year old small, my dealer doesnt sell bge anymore but there was another 14 miles down the road
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    The Kamado Joe's are nice cookers but I wouldn't buy one from Nebraska Furniture Mart.  I have had a couple run ins with them over other product warranties and trust their "tail-light" policy would be the same on the KJ's.  Trust me, you will never get any "dealer" support out of NFM.  If you can't convince him to go with a BGE have him go out to the H.U.B. (Helping U BBQ) store at 156th & Dodge.  They sell KJ there along with a lot of other stuff like lump, smoking woods, etc.  Big picture, tell him to buy a BGE and save his 25% off coupon for a new flat screen TV.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    I own a Big Green Egg and a Kamado Joe! I love the Kamado Joe customer service way better! I find the nest is way better built and harder to tip! 

Here's my Kamado Joe review: 

Here's my big Green Egg review:

Also have a read of this: 

They are both good cookers and I love both of them and use each one on a regular basis! If I ever buy a nother one it would definatelly be a Kamado Joe again!

Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Options
    I agree with Bowhunr! I too have had issues with NFM and their warranties. They are not always willing to work with you on things. Tend to brush them off and pass the buck. the HUB store is great! Since they are a dealer they could help you with warranty issues right off the bat. Very friendly and great little store. Naked Whiz does have a very detailed piece on KJ cookers. I have read it. Check it out.

Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    edited April 2012
    Options
    If you guys have issues with Nebraska Furniture Mart with warranty I would email Kamado Joe or call them and let them know about the issue! I guarrantee you they will address the issue promply and will give **** to dealer an if they don't comply they will pull there KJ's from there. They beleave in customer service big time which is a big priority over at Kamado Joe!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    WOW Shawn, read your review.  No mesh screen on the bottom vent is an incredibly dangerous hazard. When I got my BGE I had to run out and manage the grill while getting the temp set.  I was wearing some sandals (was going to say Thongs but thought better! haha).  A spark lazily fell out of the lower vent BETWEEN MY TOES!!!  Talk about a hot foot.  Learned then and there the mesh vent is a very important and overlooked feature on BGE.  
    If anyone were planning on using their grill on a deck (not concrete), I suggest buying a grill with a mesh vent.

Side note: I do like the hinged grate for adding wood on KJ.
  • uncledave
    Options
    Thanks for all of the help. Nebraska Furniture Mart is not listed as a dealer. They are probably like a big box store. No warranty I am guessing.
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    Options
    Agree with HUB, get the BGE and then all your "stuff" at HUB
  • lillil
    lillil Posts: 1
    Options
    I own a Big Green Egg and a Kamado Joe! I love the Kamado Joe customer service way better! I find the nest is way better built and harder to tip! 

Here's my Kamado Joe review: 

Here's my big Green Egg review:

Also have a read of this: 

They are both good cookers and I love both of them and use each one on a regular basis! If I ever buy a nother one it would definatelly be a Kamado Joe again!

Shawn,

This is my first post.  I am trying to decide between a Kamado Joe and BGE and found your reviews very helpful.  Last week my wife and I visited an ACE hardware store where both brands and comparable models were on display basically next to each other.  My wife who is petite lifted the lid on the KJ with ease (one-handed).  She needed to muscle the BGE lid with two arms.  I asked the salesperson whether there was something wrong with the BGE lid assembly.  He said no and seemed pretty knowledgeable when I asked several other questions.  I have not seen this lid lifting issue brought up in any of the posts comparing the two products.  Could I have your input on this?

Lillil
  • Retired Egg Man
    Options
    My Joe Classic is due to be delivered today as in soon. It will eventually replace my BGE medium which because of size was a mistake. I was told over and over in here to go large but my wife wanted a medium. That was about ten years ago. At first I was going to get a BGE large but with time and the air hinge etc the KJ has won me over. The old medium BGE will go to one of my sons who already has a large BGE.