Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts tomorrow!

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is the first of four, for a total of about 30 pounds.  All are prepped and safely in the fridge now.

Going to be a long smokin' day tomorrow.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    How lo ng before you start cooking do you usually put the rub on the butts?  The reason I ask is because I plan on starting an 11lb butt tomorrow evening for lunch on Sunday.  Due to time constraints tomorrow I'd like to put the rub on the butt tonight.  Will that hurt anything or will it be ok if it sits int he fridge with the rub on the meat for about 20 hours?  Do I need to cover the meat?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    There are wiser smokers who will chip in, but for me I always try to rub or marinate at least overnight.  In my opinion I think you will be fine.

I like to wrap in saran and foil.  Keeps everything moist.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    @alynd- you can put run on minuted before putting on the EGG or you can do it a day before.  It does not make a difference.  I would cover the meat with saran wrap so that nothing in the fringe touches meat. good luck

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Fit check, 3, 2, 1 Launch!

Had it lit for 45 minutes and stable for about 20 minutes before the launch, but boy did it smoke up getting the meat on.

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Those are some good looking butts Doc. Can't wait to see/hear how they come out!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Nice. Great way to start the day.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Fit check, 3, 2, 1 Launch!

Had it lit for 45 minutes and stable for about 20 minutes before the launch, but boy did it smoke up getting the meat on.
    Is that an XL? I don't think I can get 4 on my large, 2 is about it
  • Doc_Eggerton
    That is roughly 30 pounds of butt in four cuts.  I could barely get it on, and had to take the dome thermometer out as it touched one of the roast.  I played with a configuration, then reached in through the chimney to see if it was touching the dome.  Just barely fits.  I could have gotten all four on the regular grid, but I did not want edges hanging over the heat coming around the plate setter.  It is an XL, plate setter legs up, BGE grid, and Weber grid on bricks.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Interesting to note the difference between the Mavrick on the grid, and the Thermapen through the dome.  Dome is 50 degrees cooler, but there is 15 pounds of meat up high there.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @ Hungry in Lilburn-I have a LBGE and you can load it up with at least 4 butts by going vertical.  Many here have packed in even more.  2 over 2 with plenty of room to spare.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Would I need the adjustable rig from the CGS? I have the BGE triple grid but it has a center pole and butts wouldn't fit on it to good.
  • lousubcap
    Would I need the adjustable rig from the CGS? I have the BGE triple grid but it has a center pole and butts wouldn't fit on it to good.
    No need for AR-you can use fire bricks and another grate (slightly smaller than your main grate) to stack much like in 9:01 AM post pic.  BTW-I own the BGE 3-Tier as well (bought right out of the gate-shoulda waited and saved the $$) and have basically retired it due to the center pole challenge. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Same story here. Mine was a gift at Christmas. I was good for doing big chicken parts cook. Doesn't see much service now.
  • lousubcap
    Same story here. Mine was a gift at Christmas. I was good for doing big chicken parts cook. Doesn't see much service now.
    You may want to try the main grate of the 3 tier as your second/raised grate to get some use out of it.  Should work as long as you don't go too high in the dome. FWIW-
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Difference between the dome and the grid is now about 20 degrees.