Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank, how to clean?

Options
tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited April 2012 in EGG Table Forum
OK all, What's the best way to clean one of these things? 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Any stuck-on skin, I scrape off with a plastic doo-hickey I have at my sink.  The burned areas, I don't worry about.
    And when most of your plank is burnt, replace it with an Alder one.  
    ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• tazcrash
    Options
    Thanks, 
    I scraped (nothing stuck), but wanted to make sure there wasn't more.
    Seems like I'll have 2 planks from now on. The Mrs, and son did not like it. Said it was too strong. 
    Rub was Salt, Pepper, Old Bay, dry mustard, and EVOO
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Well. It's supposed to be sacrificial. That's part of the idea. Toss in the trash

I use cedar shingles myself. Incredibly cheap single use.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited April 2012
    Options
    OK all, What's the best way to clean one of these things? 

By tossing it in the garbage & using a new one ;)...

Please don't tell me you reuse plastic silverware & paper plates as well?? =))

hehe... seriously though, I *may* use a plank 2 times, if it's not
    charred all to death, and if I'm running low.  But, even so, then all I do is take 1 of those
    dishwashing sponges w/ the "bristly" stuff on one side & just use
    that along w/ hot water to get any misc stuff off...

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

when i started using planks- i used to char them to the point to where you couldnt reuse them and then i would just toss them...

then i changed up how i used them....  after soaking them - i  throw them on the egg for a few minutes on each side until dried out and just before burn marks appeared.  i then coat both sides in EVOO.  then proceed with the cook as normal.

when i remove them they are in pretty darn good shape...  i then clean with warm water and scrape any food off.

at that point i realized that i didnt want to store the plank until the next use and tossed it in the garbage :)

• tazcrash
    Options
    OK. I had thought that these planks were reusable a few times (until they charred too much). I scrubbed, no soap. But since I'm the only one who would eat it again. Out it goes. Btw cook did happen ;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Shame though, this puppy was thick, and made to be used a couple times
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Taz - nobody said you cannot use them twice - in fact, I said sometimes I do.  As long as you get the old food off, and it's not too charred, I don't see why you couldn't. 

I think the point is that they are scrap pieces of wood, and are fairly cheap, and as such, easily lend themselves to being disposable. 

For me, I take it on a case-by-case basis - if one of the used ones looks decent & can be used again, why not?  But if the next used one looks too charred or too "gnarly" from stuck on food grime, is it worth it spending time trying to scrub it clean? 

At any rate, do what feels right for YOU :)>-
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

Just go to the Lumber yard and get your self Cedar boards that are alot cheeper. Come home get out your trusty Dewalt Miter Saw and cut planks.

Make sure no chemicals are on the boards. Just ask they will tell you which ones are and arent.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• stike
    Options
    can someone please tell me what cedar boards are available that actually HAVE chemicals in them?

please.  seriously.

let's say i wanted cancer.  tomorrow.  what cedar board should i ask for?

some shingles are treated for fire retardency.  those that are, are marked, and sold at a premium.

otherwise... hard to find a cedar board that has chemicals added to it.
    cedar is naturally rot/insect resistant, and is not pressure treated.  so what mythical chemicals should i be on the lookout for?  (if this sounds facetious, it is.  it's a common warning.  but one that hasn't ever been substantiated)

• stike
    Options
    (i can hear all you hardos out there googling like a mutha... hahah  keep trying.  keep trying)