Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Publix lump on sale - $4.99

KingRover
KingRover Posts: 115
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
8.8 lb, usually $5.99, on sale through 4/25 (at least in Atlanta).

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Is it Royal Oak?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • KingRover
    edited April 2012
    Is it Royal Oak?
    Yup
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    Yeah it's royal oak. Here in Aiken, SC. Publix has Weatern brand in 20lb for $21. I love this lump. Alot Of big chunks smaller and medium size pieces compliment the large pieces. Try it

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Txwaym1
    Txwaym1 Posts: 2
    Other brand lump woks well in BGE. Got my BGE for birthday April 1.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    How good is the Publix lump, though? I tried Nature Glo, which is also made by Royal Oak, and it snapped, crackled, popped, ashed, and lasted much less than the BGE lump, or the Nature's Own Basque hardwood I've been using.

Btw, I'm in Athens, GA, and can't find standard Royal Oak anywhere local to save my life. I thought it was the easiest to find.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Publix Greenwise lump is usually pretty good stuff.  In a couple of years of using the egg, I've only had one bag that was horrible snap crackle and pop.
  • paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    I have used Nature Glo a couple of times.  Did not like it.  

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Eggbertsdad
    How good is the Publix lump, though? I tried Nature Glo, which is also made by Royal Oak, and it snapped, crackled, popped, ashed, and lasted much less than the BGE lump, or the Nature's Own Basque hardwood I've been using.

Btw, I'm in Athens, GA, and can't find standard Royal Oak anywhere local to save my life. I thought it was the easiest to find.
    I hadn't been able to find RO as well until last week when my Super Walmart got it in. They only had the 8.8 lb. bags. Coincidentally, I was in a Western Beef grocery store and they had the 17.6 lb. bags for $9.99. So I went from not being able to find it to seeing in stores on the same day.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Cool, thanks guys.  Just called my dad in Atlanta to pick me a 5 bags.  He's driving up to Chicago in a few weeks, so good deal :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • I just bought my second bag of charcoal for my Egg, which includes the bag of BGE that the Egg came with. I checked Lowes who only had Cowboy. Home Depot who only had True 'Cue. Then settled on Publix Greenwise because of the bargin I heard about here.

I found the Publix Greenwise charcoal to be slow to light, heavy on the sparks, and short lived. I was trying to get my grill to 650 for making pizza and it just didn't want to get there even though I vacuumed my Egg clean as I do before every burn. I think the problem was that by the time I had the pizza ready to go on the Egg, the charcoal was on it's way down. I didn't add more because I didn't feel good about removing the stone, grate, and platesettler when they were that hot, but I could have easily used that whole bag on 2 pizzas.

The BGE charcoal is starting to look more like a bargin to me.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • KingRover
    BGE charcoal and publix greenwise are both royal oak. Should be no difference.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Even though they are both RO, I'm sure the BGE contains larger pieces. Just a guess. 
  • Tomcat225
    Tomcat225 Posts: 41
    Im not a fan of the Publix Greenwise charcoal..very small pieces..Must be the factory seconds for RO??
  • scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    I just used my first bag of publix greenwise and it had much bigger pieces in it than the royal oak i have been using. I cooked pizza on it last night at 650 degrees it did fine. I am using it tonight to cook salmon.

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    The Publix Greenwise lump sale has ended here.  Over the weekend, I was in WalMart, and they had Royal Oak in stock again, and a price sign in front of it that said $3.47.  I thought that was either too good to be true, or perhaps they were one-upping Publix's sale, so I asked a cashier (the lump was pretty close to the garden section registers).  She looked it up, and said, no, it's not right.  It's supposed to be $6.47, but I have to give you that price.  Not wanting to be a pig, and lacking a cart, I picked up one bag in each hand.  At the register, she said she could only sell me one at that price...so I bought one.  :)