Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on bricks?

Options
twlangan
twlangan Posts: 307
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been watching a number of those BBQPitBoys videos on Youtube. One I just watched showed them cooking pizzas on bricks they had inside their Webber. They didn't look like firebricks that I am used to seeing, but it got my curiosity up. Anyone see any reason why clean firebricks could not be used in an Egg to cook pizza on? The setup I am thinking is a platesetter, legs up, the grate, and the bricks sitting on the grate. Fire it up, let the bricks get hot, and cook away.

What say you?

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    If I were gonna try it I would use the split fire brick. Might take a while to get the full ones hot.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I did the reverse: firebricks under plate setter, pizza on parchment, parchment on plate setter. Next time I'll slide out the parchment after a minute or so. The gap between the bricks and plate setter is beneficial supposedly...something about air flow.
    imageimageimage
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Very interesting setup.  I like it and will give it a try.  The plate setter alone gets too hot even with a pizza stone on top.  I think you found a good system.  The bottom of the pie looks perfect.  The old school brick ovens are about 3 inches thick and retain heat for a long time.  The fire brick will take some soak time at temperature to get ready for pizza.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    Instead of the fire brick why not just do plate setter legs up, grate, then the pizza stone.  This gives you indirect/convection style cooking and a air gap between the plate setter and pizza stone so that the pizza stone does not recieve any direct heat from the fire, preventing the crust from cooking to quickly.  Seems like the fire bricks are unecessary.
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    edited April 2012
    Options

As for me, I don't have a pizza stone. I was using the plate setter as the pizza stone and the firebricks to block the direct heat (like a plate setter would). I had an inch or two of clearance with the plate setter legs down to get that gap.

I let it heat up for about an hour around 600, then did two pies with whole wheat. The pic above is the first one (thanks Sam, though i actually thought it would have been better if I pulled out the parchment). The second one I held on the Egg for a minute or two longer and was a little more done. I think around 5-6 minutes for the first one, 6-7 for the second one (more toppings, needed top cooked a little more.)image