Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Cleaning

Options
tnbarbq
tnbarbq Posts: 248
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Who often should I run the self-cleaning option on my lg BGE?  I use it 3-5 times a week.  How do I know when it's time to clean it?  Thank ya much!
Scooter 
Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    It's never NEEDED. I do my plate setter every so often just so I can touch it with my hands and not get filthy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    When it starts to look disgusting.  I did my large two days ago, after about 100 cooks.  It was really prompted by how greasy my Woo and grid looked.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    When it starts to look like this

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    +1 with Travis on this one-I guess if the state of cleanliness (or lack thereof) is impacting your cooks or the significant other's opinions of same then time to clean, otherwise save the lump for something you can enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    @Bear007 Oh my gosh!... You actually eat stuff off that?... Bet you can tell us whippersnappers a thing or two about cookin egg style?
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    Bear do you ever cook hot on it or is that only used for low/slow cooks?   How long did it take to get that buildup? 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I figure its a necessity when there are big hairs of creosote up around the top vent. Those fall into anything, it will be most nasty.
  • Bear 007
    edited April 2012
    Options
       My small really doesn't go to much above 450°-500°, I do at least one pizza cook a week on the large so that stays clean. If you let it get this bad then let it get up over 600° your going to get black chips in your food, not good. The last clean burn I did was over 7 or 8 months ago. I really can't do them in the winter because I usually have to replace the gasket, its hard to get them to stick up here in below zero temps.

I finally did do a clean burn a couple of weeks ago, you can still see a little bit of creosote around the edges.

• jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    @Bear007 what gasket are you rocking on that totally diff egg?.. lol
  • Bear 007
    Options
    Now that's a whole different story.