Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket point Vs. Flat and how to slice (lotsa pics)

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Took some pics of brisket point and flat yesterday to show how to slice

As you can see, the point has a singular grain that runs width wise across the brisket. You would turn you brisket 90 degrees and slice across this grain. The grain in the point runs several different directions (think Pork Shoulder). It can be sliced as well but you much follow the grain and keep turning to slice across it as needed. The point is also excellent chopped or chunked up to make sammies (or eat off the cutting board before the kids find out it's ready). My favorite part of the Brisket is the point (it's my favorite BBQ out of everything). Something about it when you get it right....mmmmmmm!

Pic 1) Flat- You can see how the grain runs in one singular direction for the entire muscle
Pic 2) Point. Check out how the grain is all over the place! You can slice against it but keep checking and turning the point to stay across the grain. It can sneak up on you at any point so keep alert for grain changes.
Pic 3) a perfect example of how the grain changes in the point. If you were to cut this straight across, you would have 1/2 against the grain (the correct way) and 1/2 with the grain (incorrect). This would be a stringy, tough bite. Keep turning and cutting across the grain or chop up pieces with multiple grains for sammies (awesome).
Pic 4)- slicing the flat across the grain (yes)
Pic 5) slicing the flat with the grain (no)
Pic 6) the 2 outside pieces are sliced across the grain. The chunk in the middle slice with. This would be one chewy bite if you didn't turn it against the grain.
Pic 7) flat sliced across the grain (yes)
Pic 8) Chopped flat. I do this as the flat narrows and dries out. This makes awesome sandwiches and has a great dry bark to it. Great with sauce. 
Pic 9) chunks of point sliced across the grain (hell yes)
Pic 10) better photo angle on how NOT to cut (with the grain)

Enjoy!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    Now, I already knew all this... but you whorn fans sure make it confusing by taking picture of what not to do as well!  What about all those Aggies like me that can't read... well, looking at the pics, I'd just cut it all up all crazy like... ;-)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Now, I already knew all this... but you whorn fans sure make it confusing by taking picture of what not to do as well!  What about all those Aggies like me that can't read... well, looking at the pics, I'd just cut it all up all crazy like... ;-)
    That works too! just sauce it and cut it any way you like.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I need to figure out how to make notes on the pics. that would be much easier! I'll do that when I get back from Fabulous Reno NV on Thursday. perfect timing, my "ash tray" smell was just beginning to wear off.

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    I need to figure out how to make notes on the pics. that would be much easier! I'll do that when I get back from Fabulous Reno NV on Thursday. perfect timing, my "ash tray" smell was just beginning to wear off.

You can use Paint if you have a windows PC....open the picture in Paint and add any text you want.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

You can use Paint if you have a windows PC....open the picture in Paint and add any text you want.
    Thanks Dixie. I was going to pawn this off on my Photo Shop proficient wife but I would like to know hot to do it myself (she does need to know everything I paint on my brisket photos)

=)) =))
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    (I meant that she does NOT need to know....)