Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bison

Options
ajridge35
ajridge35 Posts: 71
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have a pound of ground bison that I purchased not too long ago. Any ideas as what I can do with it? I am leaning towards bison burgers (already have blue cheese/bacon), but I think I can do something better than burgers.

Thank you!

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I use it as substitute in pretty much anything that calls for ground beef....tacos, meatloaf, burgers, sloppy joes, meatballs...whatever really
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Not sure about the bison, but love your profile pic. Hail to the Redskins! I'm a lifelong fan!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Bison runs from lean to very lean. It works well with some ground pork for meatloaf. Something I've done with various ground meats is to make mix with various seasonings, and press across a foil pie plate. Bison has a very mild sweet flavor. It goes well with fruits. I've made sauces for it with cherries and blue berries. I think bison mixed with bits of those fruits dried, or even some bits of apple would be good. Cook that till the meat shrinks some, and top with buttery mashed potatoes. Return to Egg, and cook till 'taters brown a little..
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I use it as substitute in pretty much anything that calls for ground beef....tacos, meatloaf, burgers, sloppy joes, meatballs...whatever really
    Thats how we use it.   Almost never eat Ground Beef anymore.   I have even used it in Beef Flavored Rice a Roni.....
    Cookin in Texas
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    Stuff burgers with it is pretty good. I also mixe the bison or water buffalo with pork for my burgers.
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • ajridge35
    ajridge35 Posts: 71
    Options

Thanks for the all the feedback guys! I am leaning toward meatloaf and subbing it for ground beef as mentioned.

Maybe RGIII can lead us to the promised land, cortguitarman? HTTR!

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Redskins need to can Shanahan and stick with Tim Hightower as RB. The switching between Hightower (pre-injury), Torain, and Helu was a joke.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    You can't go wrong substituting it for ground beef in any recipe.  Don't rule out bison burgers though, they are great with some blue cheese mixed in.  We always used bison when we lived in Denver ($4.50 per pound).  Not so much in Nashville ($8.00 per pound).  Lower cholesterol than ground beef too!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    Options

Redskins need to can Shanahan and stick with Tim Hightower as RB. The switching between Hightower (pre-injury), Torain, and Helu was a joke.
    Gotta disagree - Helu was great once he got his shot. Terrific out of the backfield too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would go with the burger, its lean and if you go with a loaf you will probably want to cook it more done. i would go with thick burgers, they always seem juicier to me and cook them to med rare, not take it up to 160 internal. i probably would lean toward a simple burger, its pretty mild tasting for me and i wouldnt want it overpowered with strong flavors
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I also like Torain & Helu. Hightower needs to go. This discussion is probably suited for a different forum, though.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    Options
    Lifelong Redskins fan weighing in here. I'd go with the Bison Bleu Burger, and try the reverse sear on it.

As far ar the RB's go, I like Hightower and Helu, but think Royster has potential, too. RG3 will add a lot to the running game as the threat of the naked bootleg will slow down backside pursuit.

HTTR!!!
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Same here.  But I sure do love a good Bison Burger with bacon and blue.  That would be my vote! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.