Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Village Idiot Did Good

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Village Idiot gave us some 'Grand Champion' rub made by Texas BBQ Rub http://texasbbqrub.com/gc.htm and we thought we would try it on some loin back ribs tonight. They turned out great.

We didn't do anything special with the ribs. I just fired up Lulu Large at noon and while it was warming up I spread about 3/4 cup on rub on the ribs and let 'em set there next to the Egg until it was ready. Nope... no mustard, no overnight in the frig or wrapping in plastic wrap and no other ingredients. By 12:30 I had them on with 5 good size chunks of Cherry wood. I like to use a drip pan with water in it and my BBQ Guru, but there was nothing else except some agriculture music playing in the background.

I foiled the ribs when it reached 163° for about an hour, then removed the foil and put the ribs back on the grid. From that point I misted them occasionally with some apple juice and vinegar (probably 7 part AJ to 1 part V). Then when I could see that it would be 6:00 PM before we could eat, I bumped the dome temperature up to about 300°. At 190° internal I started basting with KC Masterpiece Regular BBQ sauce that I had watered down about 20%. I also shut the fire off at that time and let the Egg do its magic.

The ribs were moist, tender, pulled away from the bone clean and meaty enough that 5 was all I could eat. Judy could only eat 2 so we have some more for a rainy day.

Thanks Gary. I'll be trying that cook again.

Spring "Rumed And Ribed And Ready For Dessert" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments