Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new tools to go "WOK"ng

Options
XLBalco
XLBalco Posts: 607
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

ordered the 1.25spider from CGS and a 22" WOK from the WOK Shop as others have done.  I have an XL and looking at this WOK I cant decide whether I am intimidated by all the real estate or excited because I am gonna have to do a decent size cook.  Plan on seasoning this weekend if I have time! 

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    It'll never look the same, thank goodness.  Lots of fun ahead for you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• XLBalco
    Options
    no thank you and everyone else that posted their wok'ng - ya'll sold me on it!
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    You will love it the ceramic grilling store does make good quality product!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • XLBalco
    Options
    i  didnt try to put the wok in my oven to see if it would fit... but i am wondering if i should use the egg to season it instead?  has anyone tried that?  figured i could rest it upside down on the platesetter or the grate?
  • centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    Mine says to boil water in it to remove film before seasoning... is this film just on the inside of wok or outside as well?  I guess I'll boil the water on the egg, then season it in the oven...
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    It's not a big science to seasoning a wok.  You want to scrub it with soap and water to get any machine oil off of it.  Then, you want to apply some oil and heat to start filling up the pores.  Also at that time, Mrs. Chan says to stir fry green onions or chives to get the metal taste out of it.

Seasoning will come as  you cook.  At first, avoid things that might stick, use oil in your cooks, and don't use tomato products.

After a cook, always wipe it clean, don't use soap.  Dry it, and put a light coat of oil on both the inside and outside to prevent rust.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• XLBalco
    Options
    sounds good.  still amazed at how big it really is.. good gosh
  • XLBalco
    Options

seasoned the WOK tonight but didnt do a cook.. no time....  what do you think of the results?

in the oven for 20 mins

then to the egg

used ginger, garlic and green onion

washed and done

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Before and after.  I did my seasoning on the wok.  Heated and cooled several times, then left on the shut down Egg as it cooled.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Village Idiot
    Options
    You're there, Doc.  Now, let's see the next picture with food in it.   :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• XLBalco
    Options
    that looks nice.. i only did one pass thru... got some more work to do :)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    We're wok'n about once a week now.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    It's not a big science to seasoning a wok.  You want to scrub it with soap and water to get any machine oil off of it.  Then, you want to apply some oil and heat to start filling up the pores.  Also at that time, Mrs. Chan says to stir fry green onions or chives to get the metal taste out of it.

Seasoning will come as  you cook.  At first, avoid things that might stick, use oil in your cooks, and don't use tomato products.

After a cook, always wipe it clean, don't use soap.  Dry it, and put a light coat of oil on both the inside and outside to prevent rust.
    +1