Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

frying fi$h on WOK?

bamafan62
bamafan62 Posts: 137
edited April 2012 in Off Topic
A friend gave me fi$h filet$.  Anyone tried frying in your wok?

Thank You,
Bama

Comments

• sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    A friend gave me fi$h filet$.  Anyone tried frying in your wok?

Thank You,
    Bama
    If you are talking about deep frying it dangerous.  If you oil splashs you could have a heck of a fire on your hands.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I wouldn't do it.  Nothing to gain, lots to lose.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bamafan62
    Thank you,

I am glad I a$ked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bama
  • Village Idiot
    Bama,

Edit:  I was thinking of deep frying.  If you want to cut the filets up and stir fry (small amount of oil), then that would be fine.  I'm just not a fan of deep frying on the Egg, period.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Stir fry or pan fry.  I pan fried talapia using a piea pan.  Would have been easier on the cook top, but I just wanted to try it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bamafan62
    Travi$,

I did a big batch of fried okra on VI 1 inch wok la$t night. ;=)  It wa$ tight but it wa$ very good! 

Thank$ for the $ugge$tion!

Bama
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    my egg sits on a stone patio, and i can just walk away if it catches. 600 dome, shut lower vent completely and wait for the fire to settle down, dont fill the wok. dont do this if your egg is on a deck, near a wooden structure, anything combustable. for me its safer than frying on the wok burner indoors.

some chicken

some green tomatoes

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    To each his own.  Go for it, fishlessman.  I'm sure something deep fried tastes a lot better on the Egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    To each his own.  Go for it, fishlessman.  I'm sure something deep fried tastes a lot better on the Egg.
    well, see, thats the point, you have a deep fryer thats safe, for me its a big open flame burner in the kitchen with carpeting, wooden walls with wallpaper etc. its not safe there to deep fry.
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the BGE is the only deep fryer that extinguishes instantly.  shut the dome and vents.
    done.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Village Idiot
    fish,

I'm not trying to be flippant.  I think, from your posts, you agree that what you are doing is not inherently safe, especially if young children are around.  If my family and home's welfare were a factor, ever so slight, I would think that sinking $75 in for a deep fryer would be a pretty good insurance policy.

The OP was asking for advice on deep frying on a wok on an Egg.  I do not want to be a party to recommending something that might end up hurting someone or their home. It seems that you have taken adequate measures to minimize the inherent risks of deep frying on an open flame, but in my opinion, that should not be a global recommendation to everybody.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• stike
    i don't think he took you as flippant.

i would add that a 75 dollar home fryer is still very dangerous around kids and in a home.

biggest problem is overfilling, and the oil spilling out and catching fire.  happens often.  fish is just saying, if it all went wrong, and your oil burst into flame, he'd rather have that outside where h can kill it and walk away.

kids can knock over a hot fryolater too.

when we make fries, and that's on the stove top, the kids are kept away from the hot oil.
  • fishlessman
    was just pointing out some things to make it safer, i cringe everytime someone posts an egg on a deck attached to a house.
    stike, i might toss the wok cover on, but im not reaching over a grease fire to drop the dome. ill sit 20 feet back in my rocker, sip a beer and watch the fire first
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    just push it from behind, fish.

knock it with a stick, etc.

just saying.  snuffed pretty quickly if the dome is shut and vents closed

• Village Idiot
    just push it from behind, fish.

knock it with a stick, etc.

just saying.  snuffed pretty quickly if the dome is shut and vents closed

I rest my case.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372

I'm with VI, $75 for a deep fryer. It maintains the correct temp and and they have them now that the outside is cool to the touch if your not watching your kids --- porperly.

I don't have kids in the house but i still use a elec deep fryer mostly out side on top of my lonly gasser.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I don't think I'd stir-fir fish, either on the egg or the stove.  I would think that would break the fish up, and I can't recall ever reading a stir-fry recipe that used cut-up fish.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• stike
    edited April 2012
    VI: i think you and i see it as two different things.  you see it  is only a fire hazard.

i see a large vat of boiling fat as a hazard pure and simple. indoors or outdoors.
    safer outdoors.

• Village Idiot
    edited April 2012
    VI: i think you and i see it as two different things.  you see it  is only a fire hazard.

i see a large vat of boiling fat as a hazard pure and simple. indoors or outdoors.
    safer outdoors.

I think we pretty much agree, except that I see it as not only a fire hazard: I see it as a fire and human safety hazard.

My only purpose in joining this thread was to warn about the dangers of deep frying on an open flame.  I think all parties have agreed to that, and so, I believe the original poster can make an informed decision on whether or not he wants to deep fry on the Egg.  Either way is fine with me.  

I prefer not to do it.

(and stike, next time, don't bring a pocket knife to a gunfight  :)) )

Dripping Springs, Texas.