Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Working on getting the BGE Stabilized for a Ham!

GaryLange
GaryLange Posts: 418
edited April 2012 in Pork
The hardest part for me anyway is getting the eggs temp to stabilize at the temp I want to cook. I am putting the Ham on at 1:30 today and want the egg at 250 degrees. Just went I think I have it stabilized it starts climbing again. I could use some tips of getting it to hold at the 250 mark or at least close. Using a remote thermometer so I can keep and eye on it while it cooks.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    did you adjust the thing more open after putting the  ham in?

just shut the vents more.  wait a half hour before you decide whether it's miving up or down.  at low temps, changes take time.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GaryLange
    I had the temp at 245-250 and it started to drop and got down to 235 so I opened the bottom and top vents and it dropped more instead of going back up. It went down to 223 and has held now at 225. Looks like my Ham won't be getting done at 4:30pm like I planned. I must be doing something wrong. It is starting to climb back toward the 245-250 mark but still only 230.
  • stike
    you only need to take it to 140, if it's already cooked.

bump to 300 anyway, 325.  won't hurt
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Is it pretty windy if its windy outside it can effect the temp especially if wind is blowing in directly in the vent! Close in more on the top and bottom vent a little bit at a time! The egg takes a few cooks to get the hang of it! Practice makes perfect! Don't give up it will be worth it at the end!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • stike
    aw man... wind doesn't blow into the vent.  it might blow over the top of the exhaust vent, and draw some out, but i have never had the wind affect a cook.  best most stable cook ever was during a 27 inch blizzard, 30 mile an hour sustained winds.

the egg could not care less what the wind is doing.
  • GaryLange
    It took longer then I anticipated. However, it turned out very juicy and you could cut it with a fork. Now this recipe said 250 degrees and this 7.03lb Ham should have been done at 4:30pm. It took about and hour longer and had to raise the temp to 350 degrees. Next week I am cooking two 7+lb. Hams. I am thinking that 300 would be better and since the wife wants to eat at 4:30pm as we are having company. I think I should put them on at about 11:30am. What do you guys think? It was good and she was happy with it but not happy with the extra time. Got to keep her happy.
  • antmara
    antmara Posts: 31
    I just got done eating one that I cooked at about 400 for an hour and a half to an internal temp of 150. Awesome! By the way: I didn't eat the whole ham by myself, I had help. But seriously, if it is already smoked all you're really doing is heating it up anyway.