Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My life is ruined.... I'm serious.

Options
2»

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Nicely done Travis. I love cooking on the wok, food is so good and healthy.

Question....what are you drinking there with the Rum?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    Just ordered... 20" wok (noted to be handhammered) and 18" set.. $68.85 shipped...
  • bamafan62
    bamafan62 Posts: 137
    Options
    Que$tion for the wok veteran "woker".  I have u$ed my wok a few time$ and cleaned and oiled the wok every time.  The wok i$ now "black" but it appar$ $plochy.  Light and dark patche$ on the interior. 

I$ thi$ a normal appearance?

Thank You,
    Bama
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Grif, that is a blood orange Sanpellagrino. Yum yum yum
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Blood orange? OK, I've only had lemon!
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Yep. It's my fav. They have orange, lemon, and blood orange. At least thats all the ones I know of. 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options

thanks for the info travis... i have an XL and i  am going to order the 20" along with the spatula...

as far as the Spider goes.... can anyone give input on .75 or 1.25 and the benefits or drawback of each?

or does it matter which one you get?

• centex99
    Options
    I bought the 1.25" to get as close as possible to the coals for searing steaks...
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I have the .75. It works ok. I think if I had to do it over agian, I would get the 1.25.

The .75 is not ideal for searing steaks.
    The .75 is not ideal for raised direct spatch birds.
    The .75 I think, is ideal for the wok.
  • XLBalco
    Options
    is the 20" you got a round bottom?
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Yes. Get the 20in hand hammered carbon steel round bottom wok. Call the wokshop and ask Ms Tane Chen.
  • XLBalco
    Options
    thanks.. i am going to... before i saw this thread i was going to go with the 20" carbon steel flat bottomed..  just curious why you went with this one.  did it have to do mainly with the height?
  • travisstrick
    Options
    No. I got it couse hand hammered sounded cool. Also, I liked the idea of getting something secret and not on the website.

It just turned out that it worked well. If it was shorter, I could see how it wouldn't work as well.
  • centex99
    Options
    They don't have a flat bottom 20"... all of the commercial 20"+ sizes are round bottom... I'm not sure the difference between the hand hammered and the plain one... she said they import the hand hammered from China... the website states the commercial ones are US made though, so who knows...
    I'm curious to know the quality difference between the wok I ordered for $40 and the town food service ones ($20is some places)..
    I'm a bit frustrated I didn't check the local restaurant supply shops cause this one looks identical to the one in travis's pics and its half price...
  • Jan_WassisMeats
    Options
    The food looks amazing!
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    I think the flat bottomed woks are designed for a stove top and so unnecessary with the BGE, I would imagine it easier to use the wok spatula with a rounded bottom.
  • XLBalco
    Options

Just hung up with Ms. Chan... the legend of VI, Mickey and this board continues to grow in her mind I'm sure..  very nice lady and very helpful.. i ordered the 20" hand hammered round bottom that travis ordered as well i believe.. ordered the base, spatula and ladel as well.. went to the CG store and ordered the 1.25 spider as well.. hopefully everything will be ready to go by next weekend for some stir fry!

thanks to all for the input!

• Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Travis, what is your recommendation for a BGE Large combo. Spider, wok and spatula?
  • travisstrick
    Options
    This is from Village Idiot. He uses a 16in carbon steel wok. I dont know about the spider or spatula. I would feel comfortable with either spider and the large wok spatula from wokshop.com Call Ms Chen and tell her you want the 16in wok and she will set you up with the right spatula. 
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    I just spoke to the lovely lady at the WokShop and ordered my 16" Hand Hammered Wok & Wok ring along with a spatula, ladle, whisk and cleaning brush.

She is a real professional !  I really enjoyed talking with her, and she expressed her thanks for yet another referral from the BGE community.

Can't wait for it to arrive!  

Tom