Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Loin 3-25-12

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Indirect at 275 until hit 144.  Rested for 10 minutes.  Took about 90 minutes.

Grilled veggies and pinto beans with tomatoes.

The loin was marinated 12 hours in Dichicko's hot.

Very moist, a little bite, and quite tender.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Looks great. Isn't it amazing how moist the Pork Loin comes out?
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Looks good, and there was me thinking 3-25-12 was a new 3-2-1 for pork loin, hadn't twigged it was the date :)
  • crmwell
    crmwell Posts: 19
    My neighbor was cooking a pork loin last night on a Weber.  It looked awful done to me so I brought my Thermo pen over.  I told him it should read around 145.  Stuck it in and it was over 170!  Never heard how it tasted.  He would like to get a BGE soon.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    crmwell - BGE owes you a sales fee!

Doc - I'm inspired enough to make one tonight!
  • SteveWPBFL
    It was a 7.2 lb'er from Costco. Cut in half so about 3.6 lb. Home made rub from some of the spices we keep in the kitchen. Put it on indirect at 250F dome at 3:08 p.m. EDT at 69.7F internal on the Thermapen with Jack Daniels oak chips for smoke. Pulled it at 4:38 p.m. at 142.7F internal temp, wrapped in foil twice and put into cooler until wife got home. Had it for dinner around 6:15. Lost some of the juices in the cooler but otherwise it was real good, though not 'wow' great, nice and lean, juicy but not juicy-juicy, I'd give it a B+. Thanks for the inspiration. Next time we get the "A"!
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited March 2012
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    betting that more than half of us reflexively tried to figure out how long you cooked this roast by thinking "3-25-2012?"  "is that 3 hours uncovered, 25 minutes in foil, and 2012 ...? oh. [ nevermind ]"
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    :-)  I like to date my cook pics.

Right after I bought the first Egg I went into a shop not far from home that sold them and had lots of accessories in-stock.  The place where I bought it had the Eggs but no accessories.

Anyway, the guy helping me says "My boss used to have pictures of his kids on his desk.  Ever since we started selling BGEs all he has is pictures of food."

So true.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited March 2012
    i date all my pics and cooks in a way that makes it easy to find....

starting with reverse numerical order, i'd save pics of your cook in a folder titled "2012-03-25_Pork Loin"

what's good about it is i frankly need more info in the title, and putting the date that way keeps all folders in order but still allows me to type an 'old man reminder' descriptive folder name like "2012-03-25_Pork Loin Dinner with Smith Family at Lake W" 

also, instead of all the March photos from 2008, 2009, 2010 being crammed together, the folders stack in chrono order.  about the only thing i do with any sort of logic.  :))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SteveWPBFL
    That's hard core!