Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thermometer question

gdawgs24
gdawgs24 Posts: 21
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
i recently purchase a thermometer that has a silicon cord. it doesnt say to wrap the cord in foil but i have noticed on here that people do. is this neccassary since its not the braided cable?

Comments

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I have a maverick, never wrap it.

Cookin in Texas
  • gdawgs24

does the maverick have a silicon wire or more like a braided steel wire

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    mavericks braided. I wrap my probes, only about 4 inches worth, only where the direct heat will come into contact.
  • gdawgs24
    xray pat do you have a silicon wire
  • I have a maverick, never wrap it.

+1 - never wrap

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• xraypat23
    gdawgs, both the maverick and the igrill are braided stainless, i still wrap it where the stone doesn't block the direct heat. I don't know why i do this, i have never done it with my barrel smoker.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    OK, for those who don't wrap, are you only using it for smokeing? Or do you also have it in there for pizzas, searing the outside of roasts, etc...
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • OK, for those who don't wrap, are you only using it for smokeing? Or do you also have it in there for pizzas, searing the outside of roasts, etc...
    Taz - I dunno about others, but I never use a thermometer for things like pizzas, searing steaks, burgers, ribs, etc... to me, it just seems too difficult to fuss w/ a thermometer in foods like that (they're too "thin")... as far as searing - since I do my sears by just throwing the steaks on a smaller grid placed directly on top of the lump - I know the lump is WAY hot (what is it, like 1200 degrees or something) - so I just throw the steaks on there, 60 seconds, flip, 60 seconds, off...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • xraypat23
    most of the digital probes aren't rated for above 500. With that being said, i'd never use my maverick probes in a 600+ grill. I have a metal oven thermo that i place on the stone, dome 600+ stone usually right around 550.