Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small or Mini

2»

Comments

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    edited March 2012

@lit

Looks like I may need to spend some more money on other items. Thanks for your imput.

:)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • thechief96

@ r2Egg2q

Thanks for all of the pictures. Those cooks look like what I'm after.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    the chicken picture is awesome!  Even had to show my daughter that one.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I cranked up my new mini for the first time yesterday. It worked great for 2 salmon burgers. Compared to my large BGE the mini uses a lot less lump, comes up to temp quickly. Ordered a mini woo for it yesterday.

cheers, John
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have two larges a small and just recently picked up a mini.  With just my wive and I the larges have become  the smoking and baking eggs and the small and mini have become the grillers.  Just the other night I grilled ribeyes for the two of us, so I fired up the mini and the small.  I opened the vents on the mini and let it run wild for the searing and had the small stabilized at 400* with the woo installed to finish them off.  I know you don't need two gills for that cook, but hey, they're eggs and they're fun!

I think you could make an argument for almost any combination that could be dreamed up.  It just depends on your individual needs, cooking style and number of people you cook for.  As to the original small/mini question they both have their strong points.  I find the mini heats up much quicker and is easier to get up to lava like searing temps.  The small, though only slightly bigger does offer a surprising amount of additional real estate for spatchcock, pork butts, large T-bones etc.  I can't wait for summer to get here so I can have them all chugging away for some outdoor entertaining!

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96

I have also picked up a 12" wok recently that fits nicely on the Small Woo.

Hope these pics are of some help in seeing the size of the Small and some of the accessories.

Thanks for the great picks. I bought a small and a wok a couple of weeks ago to compliment my XL. I ordered the Woo and stone Friday.
    Do you put the wok directly on to the Woo without using the grate? I have just been putting the wok on top of the grate at this point.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited March 2012
    I have two larges a small and just recently picked up a mini.  With just my wive and I the larges have become  the smoking and baking eggs and the small and mini have become the grillers.  Just the other night I grilled ribeyes for the two of us, so I fired up the mini and the small.  I opened the vents on the mini and let it run wild for the searing and had the small stabilized at 400* with the woo installed to finish them off.  I know you don't need two gills for that cook, but hey, they're eggs and they're fun!

I think you could make an argument for almost any combination that could be dreamed up.  It just depends on your individual needs, cooking style and number of people you cook for.  As to the original small/mini question they both have their strong points.  I find the mini heats up much quicker and is easier to get up to lava like searing temps.  The small, though only slightly bigger does offer a surprising amount of additional real estate for spatchcock, pork butts, large T-bones etc.  I can't wait for summer to get here so I can have them all chugging away for some outdoor entertaining!

Mike 
    Have you noticed a difference in how the mini vs a small/large would cook chicken thighs or wings?  I cook mine indirect on a large, comes out crispy, but not charred (just the way I like it).  Thinking of getting a mini for smaller cooks.  Chicken is pretty much the staple of my diet, which is why I ask, haha.....
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Thanks for the great picks. I bought a small and a wok a couple of weeks ago to compliment my XL. I ordered the Woo and stone Friday.
    Do you put the wok directly on to the Woo without using the grate? I have just been putting the wok on top of the grate at this point.

Yes, I put my wok directly on the Woo without the grate.  Sorry all I have is a cell phone picture of this (during initial seasoning):image

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • thechief96
    Looks like a woo and wok are on my list of stuff to get. Is that wok from the wok shop? Is it a round bottom? Looks like those are spring onions and did you season it on the egg?
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Yes, 12" carbon steel round bottom from the Wok Shop. I seasoned it following their seasoning instructions which finishes with wokking an aromatic veggie like green onions to the point where they're over cooked.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I have to be honest odie, I have not made chicken on my mini yet.  I have made it many times on my small and large and I don't see much of a difference.  

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    edited March 2012

@ Odie: Mini is a chicken making unit. I use a Mini Woo and cook direct. But no problem to do indirect as well. I just do direct on all size Eggs.

6 chicken legs

imageimage

Whole 3.5lb spatchcocked chicken

Or Cornish Game Hen (large one)

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• odie91
    So, being that the grill sits much closer to the lump in a mini, you guys don't find that the chicken gets charred?  I would be cooking indirect.
  • Mickey
    So, being that the grill sits much closer to the lump in a mini, you guys don't find that the chicken gets charred?  I would be cooking indirect.

No. That is why I use a Mini Woo. ALso I watch it.

• odie91
    Well dang it, looks like I'll be making a trip to my local Ace Hardware in the near future.... haha
  • odie91
    just ordered the MINI today from Ace.   i explained that i wanted the new version with 10" grill.  guy called in to check and told me the old and new version are same size, just different hinge.  nevertheless, he's picking up the new version for me as requested.   what do i measure to make sure it's the new grill?  is the SS grill diameter, or the fire ring diameter?

got a GREAT deal on the MINI for being a repeat customer  =)
  • Mickey
    edited March 2012

@ Odie91

Measure the cooking grid. Must be 10". Your dealer is not up to speed. Many have double hinge with 9.5 gride. May or may not be SS.

• odie91

@ Odie91

Measure the cooking gride. Must be 10". Your dealer is not up to speed. Many have double hinge with 9.5 gride. May or may not be SS.

he said he's getting it from the Ace Hardware warehouse.   if he arrives with the old version, i assume only way for him to get me the new one is to ship directly from BGE.
  • odie91
    if the grill diameter of the new version is larger, i assume that means the inner diameter of the ceramic base is also larger than the old one?
  • Mickey
    edited March 2012

It will be fine if your comes with a 9.5". Just have them get you a 10" and all will fit fine. The reason BGE went to the 10" was not to fit a Mini Woo. It was because the 9.5" rattled around the top of the fire ring so bad and the 10" fits much better.The Mini Woos were 9.5 and here had to remake the die to fit the 10" and then BGE went back to the 9.5". Poor Tom has been just chasing size on the Mini. When I got my first Mini it was "the new" one with fixed handle and single hinge but had a 10" up from the 9.5". Then they went back to the 9.5" and now back to the 10".

• Mickey
    Odie I am guessing your dealer is not getting from Ace Warehouse, but from the distributer rep'ing for Egg in your part of the world. The 10" can come from the distributer or Egg. I have got several from Egg.

• odie91
    so let me get this straight.  if i get the old one, i just need them to re-order the 10" grate, not a whole new ceramic base?
  • Mickey
    edited March 2012
    so let me get this straight.  if i get the old one, i just need them to re-order the 10" grate, not a whole new ceramic base?

Correct........... Just the grid. If you get tech the grate is the bottom one. But myself and 99% call the top one the grate just like you.

• odie91
    Thanks Mickey.
    Technically gride is spelled "grid".   Just kidding  ;)
  • Mickey
    X_X

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    A Warning:  The Small Woo does not support the 12" "pow Wok" from The Wok Shop; the single long handle pulls the wok off to the side and mine falls through, just barely.  Fortunately I bought the wire wok ring for $3 and it works just fine on top of the normal grate (that wire wok ring also works great on my gas stove, unlike the sheetmetal one, for wokking when the snow's too deep).  

Some thoughts on Small vs Mini:  I have a Large, but because I normally cook for one I wanted one of the smaller ones.  I ended up buying the Small, as I'd read that the Mini would hold two chicken breasts, but only one steak.  After purchase I realized the few times I'm entertaining, I could just go ahead and use the Large for two steaks, duh!  
    But, now that I'm wokking on the Small (the Large eats up too much lump for just one meal) I'm really, really glad I went with the Small after all.  

Also didn't realize High-Que made a grate for the Small.  Firing up the credit card, again....

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• thechief96

@ Botch Thanks for that info on the wok . I'm going to get one from the wok shop. It seems that the one with the two metal handles is the way to go.

I guess since I'm in the city quite often I may as well just stop in and mention this forum, VI and Mickey.

Maybe she will welcome me with open arms or throw me out on my ear.

=))
  • freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    I need to decide on weither (sp)to get a small or a mini to go along with my XL and large. It is just the two of us for the most part so I don't always want to fire up the large or XL. Ideas pease.

Did you end up getting the mini or small and are you happy with it?
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior