Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a Ham

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited March 2012 in Pork

Nothing extra, just put a half ham on at 300°. Took 2 hrs 14 minutes for 140°image

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Put me down for leftovers and the bone please.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bigguy136
    Options
    Thanks but I know it's the Sierra Mist that is making it look sooo much better.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Direct / indirect?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bigguy136
    Options

Sorry, indirect with a plate setter at the felt line.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    And no more snow in the background :D

Big Lake, Minnesota

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Did you put anything on the ham, or leave it as it was. I am wanting to do one for Easter and looking for any help with a recipe, time and temp. How big was that ham. What is a guideline for timing and temp?? TIA
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Did you put anything on the ham, or leave it as it was. I am wanting to do one for Easter and looking for any help with a recipe, time and temp. How big was that ham. What is a guideline for timing and temp?? TIA

This is Egrets Ham. Have done this 10+ times and it is outstanding. I like a sprial cut ham and just use my fingers to work in the maple syrup. Will do for Easter and Christmas forevere.

INGREDIENTS:
    Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 Lbs. Cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks
    Maple-Bourbon Paste
    2 Tbs Pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbs Freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbs Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbs Bourbon
    1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Onion Powder
    2 Tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

Procedure :
    1 The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple
    2 locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    3 Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side).
    4 Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You
    5 can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Cooking
    1 Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid
    2 attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised
    3 grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours).
    4 I, sometimes, inject with more maple syrup about one hour before ham is done.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bigguy136
    Options

This is Egrets Ham. Have done this 10+ times and it is outstanding. I like a sprial cut ham and just use my fingers to work in the maple syrup. Will do for Easter and Christmas forevere.

INGREDIENTS:
    Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 Lbs. Cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks
    Maple-Bourbon Paste
    2 Tbs Pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbs Freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbs Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbs Bourbon
    1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbs Paprika
    1 Tbs Onion Powder
    2 Tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt

Procedure :
    1 The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple
    2 locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    3 Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side).
    4 Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You
    5 can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Cooking
    1 Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid
    2 attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised
    3 grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours).
    4 I, sometimes, inject with more maple syrup about one hour before ham is done.
    I agree with Mic. I've made that ham several times and they are great. The one I did was just a ham.

Big Lake, Minnesota