Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High heat vinyl caps? Small nest?

Gato
Gato Posts: 766
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I recently purchased a previously owned but never used small egg. I noticed on the nest it only had two of the vinyl caps. My dealer gave me a new set but I just noticed in the packaging it states in bold lettering for use only on the large nests. Is there a reason they are not used on the small nest? Did any of your small nests have them installed?
Geaux Tigers!!!

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    They'll melt -- even on the large nest.  Don't bother with them.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Gato
    Yeah, I was thinking they would give a little protection from scratching the egg. I didn't know why it specifically says for large nest only. Just wondering if those with a small nest had them or not?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • I'm pretty sure those vinyl caps are ONLY there to protect during transportation, and should be taken off before using the Egg. 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    I'm in the process of putting my new small together, there are NO vinyl caps on anything or in the hardware packages.
  • Gato
    @HH, I'm talking about the four caps that are on the uprights of the nest.
    The small I bought had two with and two without
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • All nest come with them.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• @Smitty - are they supposed to be used, or taken off?  I seem to recall folks saying that they keep melting?  What is their purpose?
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I think they are useful when the ceramics are small (the base size fluctuates in size) as they help keep the base tight in the nest. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    So what am I missing?  Like I said I just got a small with a nest, and no vinyl caps anywhere!
  • Gato
    I thought they all came with them too. I only questioned it when I read the paper work and it stated in bold print for the large nest only. Thanks
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited March 2012
    Gato - if they are to be used as "spacers" in the event the base is smaller than nominal, as Smitty suggests, then, in my opinion, they are optional, at best.  And if they melt (as most others who have used them say they do), then they aren't even useful anyway.  So I wouldn't even sweat it whether they are for the small, or large - methinks you're worrying about something that is a non-issue  :-/
  • Gato
    Yes HH, I have also come to the same conclusion.
    Geaux Tigers!!!