Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinating ribs in coke?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on doing babyback ribs this weekend. I heard on a radio show where the owners of a rib joint soak their ribs in coca cola overnight. They said it helps to breakdown the fat. Another caller said he uses root beer. Anyone try this before? [p]Thanks in advance. [p]Jake [p]

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    jake57,[p]Not tried it but have heard that the acids in the colas help break down the meat a bit. I've tried several sauces made with coke and root beer. Some have been good, some not so good. Give it a try, see what you think, and let us know the results.[p]Troy
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    jake57,[p]As sprinter mentioned, Coca-Cola & other soda pop is used in mops, finishing sauces, baked beans and as a reheating liquid. I'm pretty traditional when it comes to ribs and brisket too, but just for reference, here is a Dr. Pepper brisket marinade from my recipe collection. Dr. Pepper is popular in southern Q, and for glazing hams etc.[p]
    2 cans Dr Pepper
    1t Seasoned Salt
    2t Ground pepper
    1C beef broth
    6 cloves garlic minced
    1/2 onion, sliced
    2T Worcestershire sauce
    Zest from 1 lemon [p]Increase amount as needed to cover brisket. Place trimmed brisket & marinade in zipper top bag. Marinate overnight, (or up to 24 hours) in the refrigerator, discard the marinade, pat dry & add at least kosher & salt or your favorite rub. Use a 225° maximum grate temp until brisket passes the fork test. Can use Dr. Pepper for the reheat also. [p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yo Jake, I used to be the king of marinades so I speak from experience. Soaking ribs overnight in a solution that is as acidic as Coca~Cola is going to turn those ribs to mush long before they even hit the Egg. Four hours is plenty of soaking time.[p]The soda doesn't really break the fat down either. It will make the fat more easy to remove from the meat. [p]Lager,[p]Juggy